Occasional Contributor

XL vs 1X sure is a mystery.  In pants, I incorrectly assumed that XL was smaller than 1X, but find that knee, calf and most importantly ankle width measurements are usually smaller in the 1X.  As I like a tighter fitting ankle, I have started ordering the 1X instead of the  XL in pants.  In skorts, I generally order the 1X to get a tiny bit more length.  In tops, I generally order the XL.  Always click on the sizing guide for each item and compare before you decide.  For the 1/2" to 1" difference in the sizes, it seems a bit ridiculous to have an XL. 

Trusted Contributor

Sizes are just crazy. I really think there should be some fashion organization that prescribes the measurements for each size. I needed new tops this summer as I have, unfortunately grown a bit in the middle. I hit the summer clearance sales over the last couple of weeks to find cute tops. The other day, I was cleaning my dresser top off and picked up all the tags from my new tops. I was surprised to see that I had purchased tops from a regular L through a 3x. All of them fit. I have never worn a 3x in my life, in fact, I have never worn a 2x, but some of these shirts really ran small. That is a range of 5 sizes. That's nuts. 

I really prefer the xl for tops because the plus sizes are too wide and long. In fact, after watching a LOGO show the other night, I realized that a 1x dress I bought may actually not be a dress at all but it may be like one of LOGO's long tunics. I still wear it as a dress.