Honored Contributor

Thank goodness my house is thoroughly done everything updated & remodeled over the past 3 years from new roof, replacement windows, plumbing upgraded, kitchen remodeled to new flooring...I don't think there's anything left...

my money pit now is my mouth (teeth)😳🙄.  Had most my caps & bridges done over 30+ years ago & now it seems they are all starting to have issues🙀.  Between root canals, extractions, implants ...I'm going broke!  Of course, I got my $$$s worth out of my initial investment...yet, it seems every time I think I'm done -- I get pain or the dentist finds something else.  

I'm shocked actually over the price of having nice teeth since I haven't had any dental issues in years!  I shopped around & did lots of interviewing dentists before selecting my dentist...it was harder than choosing my contractors!!!

@gidgetgh once it's all done you'll be a happy camper! (and hopefully no more "surprises").

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh@PINKdogWOOD, et al, sure seems like a lot going on.  I feel bad that many of you are having a tsunami of issues.  Good luck on the repairs!!!  LM

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh and @homedecor1  Ironically or sadly if you wish, we're going through the same things.  We live in the country and even with water treatment, our water takes it 's toll on our pipes and faucets.  So this year so far, all faucets in the house have had to be replaced including shower heads.  2 pipe leaks, one an easy but expensive fix, the other a major mess involving plumbers, carpenter, carpet cleaning and sanitizing.  Insurance company denied claim.  Also the dishwasher is on it's last gasp.  Also needed new landscaping, which is to make our life easier than replacing and planting flowers every year.  2 days ago tree trimmers were here for 3 hours---$750.  As for the teeth, in the past 2 years I''ve paid close to $7000 to have my crumbling teeth covered in caps.  What makes me kinda sick, if you add up the actual amount of work hours for everything, compared to the cost, well I'll just say  combined my husband and I did not make even 1/10th of these people doing the repairs.  Oh, I also revised my will--20 minutes--$350.  I guess the prices at the Q aren't that bad.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1  We've/I've already done a lot of updates ie totally finally insulated this old house because back in the day 90-100 yrs ago they didn't do this nor did DH's G'parents who owned this house/sold it to us. I've also have the entire outside power washed & painted, fully carpeted inside, new windows. I'm updating by painting inside every 6-10 years too.

Esteemed Contributor

Home repairs sure seem to come at the worst times!!

Honored Contributor

Our home is only 8 years old so we never expected to need to do any major money repairs yet but within the last year we've had to buy a washer, get a new AC, and a hot water heater. The AC & hot water heater were broke down within days of each other. They kept the AC limping along til the new one arrived by coming every day and putting in freon but it ran constantly and when the electric bill came - ouch!

Fortunately, we don't have to replace the roof. Our HOA does that every 15 years. We also needed dryer and dishwasher repairs that could have been expensive but my cousin is our appliance repair man and he was able to fix those.

For those with these major plumbing and roof issues, I can feel your pain.

Honored Contributor

Our bathroom demo starts tomorrow morning. I’m so NOT a remodel kind of girl. 

The entire shower has to be replaced, some of the baseboard, and all the tile in the entire bathroom so that it will all matched. And part of the ceiling in the garage has to be cut out and replaced. 

Our insurance will pay for the water damage only. I confirmed that with the adjuster this morning. Since our deductible is high, we will be paying for this entire repair ourselves.  Ouch. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you are going thru this but as you can see you are not alone.  Our house needs a lot of repairs now too, and we just don't have the money to do them.  Our business (and our income) is down, and we are putting our last child thru college and there is no way I am going to burden him with student loans.  We put our older two thru college and we will do if for this last one too.

Our house is 11 years old. We have already replaced both AC units and that was quite expensive.  There are other things that need to be done.  The other houses on our street are all just a few years old.  After we built, the market crashed and building came to a halt.  So everyone else has a shiny new home and we are struggling to keep up.  But, this too will pass....

Good luck on your repairs.  I hope it goes well.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Re: The Money Pit

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips Our plan has a similar situation to yours. They started building here in 2005, the crash in 2008 brought building to a screeching halt.When we first came here to look they were selling the models that had been priced at $280,000 for half that - and saying just make an offer. Sadly , DH wasn't retired yet then and we couldn't move. They didn't start building here again until 2010, and with a large national company.The homes are nothing compared to the quality pf the original 14 homes they built before the crash, but the price was great so we jumped for joy.The location of our home is perfect, and the only better view is property on the beach, which goes in the millions. We get the advantage of gorgeous landscaping and public areas that were done when they planned to sell the homes here for much higher prices. So there are 14 homes plus the clubhouse & pool  that are approx 5 years older than ours, and built by a different builder then the remaining 124 homes are all the same, and all built within 3 years.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Our home is only 8 years old so we never expected to need to do any major money repairs yet but within the last year we've had to buy a washer, get a new AC, and a hot water heater. The AC & hot water heater were broke down within days of each other. They kept the AC limping along til the new one arrived by coming every day and putting in freon but it ran constantly and when the electric bill came - ouch!

Fortunately, we don't have to replace the roof. Our HOA does that every 15 years. We also needed dryer and dishwasher repairs that could have been expensive but my cousin is our appliance repair man and he was able to fix those.

For those with these major plumbing and roof issues, I can feel your pain.

An 8 yr. old home with all of the problems you have had was obviously cheaply and poorly built. 

In my area the homes were quality construction done 20-25 yrs. ago and have truly stood the text of time. With only routine maintenance they are such nice homes.