Super Contributor

Re: The Media and the Crash of Asia Airlines

The footage showing wreckage and bodies was actually broadcast to the waiting families in the airport before the media broadcast it. The airline announced they had found the wreckage and then, BOOM, showed the film. If anyone should be taught a little discretion, it might be them.

Trusted Contributor

This stuff drives ratings. The solution is to stop watching.

Super Contributor

I'd rather hear reporting on the truth than all the wild, ridiculous speculations that occurred in coverage of the other Malaysian air disaster.

Esteemed Contributor

What about when they ask a family member, HOW DO YOU FEEL, OR WHAT HAS THIS DONE TO YOU? WHAT A STUPID SENSELESS QUESTION, HOW THE H###EL DO YOU THINK THEY FEEL, IDIOT.

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 qvcaddition said:

What about when they ask a family member, HOW DO YOU FEEL, OR WHAT HAS THIS DONE TO YOU? WHAT A STUPID SENSELESS QUESTION, HOW THE H###EL DO YOU THINK THEY FEEL, IDIOT.

That happens here in the US every day. If I was a reporter I don't know if I could force myself to ask that. It was asked of me when I stood watching my house burn down.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I hate the question, "and how does that make you feel?" I don't care if it's a therapist or a reporter, anyone asking me that is liable to get a short Anglo-Saxon phrase for an answer. There's just something about that question that really riles me up.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/30/2014 Clover29 said:

I hate the question, "and how does that make you feel?" I don't care if it's a therapist or a reporter, anyone asking me that is liable to get a short Anglo-Saxon phrase for an answer. There's just something about that question that really riles me up.

I know how you feel. I simply say, not matter what the case, "I am only speaking with the authorities AND YOU are NOT an authority". End of questions.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

On 12/30/2014 KYToby said:

This stuff drives ratings. The solution is to stop watching.

Unfortunately, family members desperate for news were watching at the airport and the images of wreckage and a dead body just appeared. They didn't have the option to stop watching. They hadn't even been told for certain that this was wreckage from the plane when the images were shown live.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Esteemed Contributor

Why do you watch CNN if you don't want to hear it. The local news is barely covering it, just minute details. The bodies in the water was not on American tv. I guess some people are interested, I am not one of them.