Trusted Contributor

Re: The Lovin' Spoonful -- John Sebastian

@spiderw Yes, we had the same sightings of those musicians.  😀

What us locals didn't like was the influx of traffic on the weekends.  Woodstock is less than two hours from NYC so many would just do a day trip from there to visit.  I lived right off of Rt. 375 so traffic was a challenge.  But, the visitors helped the local shops.

Beautiful area though with the Catskills.  We always had tons of deer in our yards.  Did not like it though when there was a drought and the bears and rattlers would come down from the mountains.  The bears especially liked the Woodstock golf course!

Did you do the climb on Overlook mountain?  The reward was getting to the top and climbing the fire tower for a great view.  There was the ruins of an old hotel along the way, too.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

LadyBugz

Great story!  My sister, husband and daughter lived at Woodstock in the late sixties.  In fact, my niece, their daughter was born at Kingston!   I used to visit them on the weekends whenever I could, it was about a couple of hours away from where I lived.  My sister used to tell me about seeing Dylan, Van Morrison, Band members, Sebastion when they went to the town.  They didn't see them all at once but at different times just going about their business and living life!!!!  I loved that area and always looked forward to driving up there for a fun weekend.  Yes, it does bring back good memories of that time .  

@spiderw  We’re about an hour south of Woodstock and always said we were going to go to Levon Helms Midnight Ramble. We waited to long and he was gone. 

Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness!  Love hearing that man sing....pretty much anything.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

Oh @Pearlee, what wonderful memories your post triggered!  I loved The Lovin Spoonful and still have their albums - the original vinyls.  Hard to pick a favorite song, because I loved them all, but "Summer in the City" stands out for me.  DH & I would be walking around the French Quarter with heat radiating off the sidewalks and I would hear that song in my head.  Ah, youth!

When I first saw the title of your post I was afraid it was another one of those RIP posts we've had too many of lately.  What a relief when I finally read it.  Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

@shoesnbags, I thought the same thing when I saw the headline! My first thought was “Oh, no, don’t let it be an obit, not John!” I was surprised to find that two of the original four - Joe Butler and Steve Boone - are still living and considered part of the group. Zal Yanovsky died in 2002. All of those songs take me back to my high school/college years, so much fun. Their music still sounds great today, and John has such a nice voice. I would say Summer in the City is my favorite, too, start to sweat when I hear it. Those southern summers were sizzling.
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Oh @Pearlee, what wonderful memories your post triggered!  I loved The Lovin Spoonful and still have their albums - the original vinyls.  Hard to pick a favorite song, because I loved them all, but "Summer in the City" stands out for me.  DH & I would be walking around the French Quarter with heat radiating off the sidewalks and I would hear that song in my head.  Ah, youth!

When I first saw the title of your post I was afraid it was another one of those RIP posts we've had too many of lately.  What a relief when I finally read it.  Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

@shoesnbags   My pleasure! I'm enjoying reading how many here loved their songs. 

Anyone here from Nashville?  Nashville Cats... 🎵🪕

Regular Contributor

What a day for a day dream.... 

What a day for a daydreamin boy....

This way my theme song in high school. Also, went to college for a while up in New Paltz.

Valued Contributor

@LdyBugz @shoppingless 

Yes, I know Woodstock, Kingston, and New Paltz.

I went to SUNY New Paltz. We had great concerts. 1970 Chicago, Mountain, Jefferson Airplane, Joe Cocker, America

DH went to Woodstock 69.

Discovered Billy Joel, unknown opening for J.Geils band. 1971.

Beautiful area. Great memories.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee 

It cannot be that he is 78....I had forgotten about "Darlin' Be Home Soon" and found a Woodstock recording on YouTube.  

So, of course, now I am crying hearing that song after so many years.  Such sweet words of longing...sigh.

I was always drawn to his eyes behind those glasses.  Loved his voice and the group. 

Found an interview from 5 months ago that I will listen to at another time.  Same charming face.

Thanks for the reminder Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness that's about his birthday!!  Always liked his music.  He makes me think of Cat Stevens too. Another favorite.