Respected Contributor

Re: The Liliacs are starting to come out!!

My one lilac is beginning to flower. I love it. I’ve had one since I was a child. Kept asking my Dad for one. He bought me one and I just loved it. I don’t have more because they are not easy to grow here. Lost a few before this one took. I love all flowers but lilac is my favorite. 

Esteemed Contributor

Neighbor's lilacs are planted right on the property line, overhanging my driveway and about 12' from my kitchen window.

The buds just turned violet today. 

I'll spend the weekend with a chair and table on the driveway, right beneath them. Do this every year.

. . . mmmm...smells so good!

Esteemed Contributor

At one time in my life while still living in New York, the house I lived in had Lilac bushes growing clear across the back fence.  The aroma was amazing and I would cut some and take them to the office where I was working.

The company I worked for at that time had their home office in England and all of the engineers were from there.  I loved those guys, their dry sense of humor was delightful.  Anyway, one day when I arrived to work one of the engineers called me into the conference room.  To my surprise all of them were there and written across the huge board they used to write on, were the following words;

ELIZABETH, QUEEN OF THE LILACS.

That is one day I will never forget. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I love lilacs ! purple is so pretty and big tall shrub like plant