Contributor

Re: The Kennedy assasination

My two sisters and I were in Dallas in October  of 2017. It is a very moving experience to stand on the "grassy knoll" and to visit the Texas School Book Depository Museum. If memory serves, there is a plaque on outside of the museum stating that it was from that building the LHO "allegedly" shot JFK...the word "allegedly" had been scratched out by many visitors to the site. 

Respected Contributor

I was 6yrs old, in first grade. A knock at the door and our teacher was called out of the room. She was gone for a while and the boys were starting to act up. She came back to the door and looked at us from outside the classroom through a small window. Then she came in and told us we were dismissed as President Kennedy had been "hurt".

There were no parents or buses and i walked home alone.  Not far, almost one mile but on a rural winding back road, no sidewalks.  On Sunday morning we were all right in front of the TV when Oswald was shot. And the funeral procession. So sad, so stark and somber in black and white.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Huge Hannah, for the reminder. I noticed on my calendar this morning that tomorrow is the anniversary. There's just a certain segment of us who still remember it, and it's so hard to believe it's been 55 years. I was 16 and a sophomore in high school and classes virtually stopped. Once President Kennedy was pronounced dead, we were sent home and my family watched Walter Cronkite on our black/white television cover as many details as possible back then. We watched nothing else for the next few days. It was just such a sad time in our country's history, and something that we'll never forget experiencing.

Honored Contributor

I had just graduated from college and was working as a sales clerk at a department store in suburban Philly, biding my time until I was sworn into the USAF in January.  There was a TV in the area in which I worked and thst's where I heard the news.  Hard to believe it has been 55 years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

freshman high school english class. we were reading a story. I remember the principal interrupting the classes to put the radio on the intercom. 

@viva923 Wow. That sounds like we might have been in the same classroom. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

And the most bizarre thing about it; there is still no consensus as to the guilty party - people are still spectulating today!

Respected Contributor

Fifty-five years!  

Those of us who remember that Friday and the whole weekend are dwindling in number.  

Besides the horror of the assassination what I remember most was sitting with my dad watching everything that happened on tv.   We saw Oswald get shot and on Monday we saw the funeral procession with the riderless horse snd when young John saluted, my dad cried.  

That event ushered in all the tragedy and craziness that was the 1960's. 

Esteemed Contributor

Lee Harvey Oswald wasn't the murderer. He was the patsy - he said it himself - on live tv. I was about to turn 23 yrs old and remember it well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Huge Hannah  That is why the Reelz station has been showing The Kennedys with Katie Holmes as Jackie (Katie nailed that part -- excellent).  All of the actors were at the top of their performance.  I was watching it today and yesterday.  I am not sure if it will still be on tonight or tomorrow during the day.  Check your local listings.  I was in high school in the nurse's office and  I was 13.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I was working downtown and returned from lunch and heard the news.  It was just unbelivevable - so sad.  The next days we were glued to the TV.  Something every day - The flight home, Officer Tibbitt, Jack Ruby, Zapruder tape, Jackie and children - still have the picture of little John John in his suit saluting in my mind, funeral procession.

Then the Warren Commission. - couldn't wait to read the book - very disappointed in it.  Still don't believe the entire truth and background has been revealed or perhaps not even truly known.

Events read like a novel - too incredible to be true and so many scenes.  I wish it had been fiction and not a true event.