Esteemed Contributor

The Irony of Don't Text & Drive

I'm at the dealership for service, DS tags along as he's spending the weekend. He decides to test drive a new pickup truck so I hop in for the drive.

Nice pickup truck, right up front is a navigation screen, at least 7" and bright!  Oh, don't want a nav screen? How about the backup camera screen? How about satellite radio screen?  How about your temp comfort screen? How about 4 USB ports to plug in all the devices you take with you but you shouldn't use while driving?

Couldn't find a logical way to shut it all off.  Had to be THE most annoying, attention grabbing distraction, ever!

But don't text & drive. Too distracting!

Honored Contributor

Re: The Irony of Don't Text & Drive

LOL - we just had our lease run out on our Buick Enclave and the screen you described. DH refused to even consider another car - he was absolutely getting another Enclave because he said he was not going through having to learn a whole new system. The Enclave still had the same screen he knows how to use.

Honored Contributor

Texting and driving is bad, but you're right that other things are too.  I see people driving and their head is totally turned to the passenger.  And that's just one example.  I don't know what the answer is.  You have to overcompensate and drive defensively.  

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy. You are so right! I test drove a Volvo SUV. Right in the middle of the dash board sat a huge "tv" screen! I asked the sales woman how to get the screen out of the way! After ten minutes she tells me you can't move it! I was shocked! No way I could see the road through that thing! Turns out there was a button that sent it into the dashboard!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I hear ya But, the back up screen is actually helpful for backing up. My husband says ,all the time ,how happy he is to have it

Honored Contributor

I just bought a brand new car.  I love it.  My late husband had a dealership license so I've driven just about every car out there offered, every brand.  They all have little differences.

My car has all of the gadgets you could get (as did my other car).  My son-in-law said he could not drive a car that doesn't have a shift (it has buttons) but I love it.  I even paid extra to have extra sensors (in addition to the one's on it) in case someone walks near me (it already beeps for car).  Ha!  Between the beeps and lights going off (if a car is in my blind spot it lights up and if I swerve, it lets me know).

Buying a car is somewhat like buying a purse, it's a personal thing.  What I like, you might not like.  I've never cared much what I drove.  My son-in-law did all of the work on the price.  I knew what kind I wanted but I wasn't hung up on the color at all, I didn't even know what color it was until I went to pick it up and he said, "That must be your car ready for you".  Ha!

My favorite thing about it is the way when the phone rings it come through my car and I don't have to do anything.  I don't carry long conversations, but if it's important, I'll answer it.  I never make calls unless I'm sitting at a light (I'm talking about pushing the button to connect).  If the light changes and I'm not connected it dies, I don't care.  My life and that of others is way more important than anything.  I don't have the phone close to me that way I'm never tempted to use it.....not that I would.

I drove myself and my friend to dinner tonight.  She said, "Look over there!  She's texting while driving!"  Crazy people are STILL doing that!

Trusted Contributor

As we know the laws are for everyone else.  I see texting, cell phones/Bluetooth, putting on lipstick, drinking large cup of hot coffee, turning to talk to passengers in back seat, reading paper, etc.  Drivers could at least wait until they stop for a traffic light.  For me the worst is a dog sitting/standing on the driver's lap and hanging out the window.  Each of those are an accident waiting to happen.  We have 20,000 students, fewer permanent residents and those who travel a distance to come in to work.  All ages do these things.  Our mayor wants us to ride a bike or park and ride to cut down on traffic.  Our town is not very big when you take out the 2 colleges.   Also did you know fire and rescue people have to have special training to be allowed to cut you out of your car should you be in an accident and pinned in your car.  If they do not cut the side of the car in the right place they will release the side air bag and hurt you even more.  Oh for the days of that hugh tank of an Imperial that later turned into the best demolition derby car ever.

Honored Contributor

It IS ironic because some of the screens in the cars today are interactive and when you use them while driving the effect is the same as if you are using your Smart Phone.

I remember back in the day when all you had was a radio without push buttons so you had to look at the radio screen while looking at the stations and listening if you got the right one.  That was distracting then and all these electronics are distracting now....

BTW, when we go to Olive Garden we take that electronic thing on the table and turn it away from us...  we find it distracting while we're trying to relax and enjoy our food and each other.....  while useful (all electronics are useful) it totally dectracts from the ambiance IMHO....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

As we know the laws are for everyone else.  I see texting, cell phones/Bluetooth, putting on lipstick, drinking large cup of hot coffee, turning to talk to passengers in back seat, reading paper, etc.  Drivers could at least wait until they stop for a traffic light.  For me the worst is a dog sitting/standing on the driver's lap and hanging out the window.  Each of those are an accident waiting to happen.  

@Gram W

You bring up many good points.

Distraction is waaaay more than a modern day cell phone.

I live near a dog park.  It's kinda cute when you see a little doggy in the driver's lap, but then you go....waitaminute!  

Talk about distraction.

Worst distraction is the cigarette.

If it drops, watch out...the car's a swervin' to prevent the leg burn.

Talk about distraction.

As early as the day of Henry Ford, men loved to look at pretty women on the street....and the first distraction accident occurred.

It's an Age-Old Problem.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I hear ya But, the back up screen is actually helpful for backing up. My husband says ,all the time ,how happy he is to have it

@cherry - I like the backup screen, too, but it is important to use it as a tool and not depend on it completely. Used as the tool it is meant to be it is great! 

- A friend who used to work for a car insurance company warned me about the backup camera; she said she saw many claims regarding accidents that happened because people were depending 100% on the camera/screen and not looking themselves.