Honored Contributor

Re: The Incredible Dr. Pol

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn 

I like my local vet and the care he has given to our family pets, but I only know him as a clinic vet.  

Many people watching Dr Pol are only familiar with vet care from the standpoint of taking their dogs, cats, birds, guinea pigs, etc., to a clinic.  You can see those animals react to the smells in the clinic; fear being a big factor, but the interaction a vet has with an animal in the clinic is different than with a farm animal in their territory.   

Farm animals have that same fear, which we watch escalate if they have to be chased into a fenced lot or barn stall.  Cows, sheep and pigs are not used to being touched by humans and the last thing a vet wants to project to a large animal is fear.   Dr Pol knows how to read these animals and respond accordingly with a much stronger touch than he may use on an animal in the clinic.   Anesthesia in these larger animals is tricky, and procedures in the field have to be done quickly in less than ideal circumstances most of the time.  

Sometimes critical comments are made without understanding the whole picture.  The entertainment factor of this show is different for me having spent my first 15 years on a working farm.  

Honored Contributor

I watch all the time--I think that relationship is great--just different--the man is 80 years old and still tossing around those dang cows---his son loves both his folks and you can tell--just the different way of all families. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  I agree. Dr. Pol and his son are different personalities but I can see the love between them.  I do know that Charles gave them fits when he was younger.

Dr. Pol was raised in the Netherlands and people of different nationalities are not always the same.  We never  hardly miss the show. I think he is a natural with animals. I had a grandfather who seemed gruff to others but he was puddy in his grandkids 

hands!  My brother, sister, and I were the only grandkids so we had it made!  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant --no I didn't know but can imagine--that is not unusual at all---and did you know that Charles was adopted by the Pols?   think that is correct.Happy that  Charles has a wife and new family and still live close by his folks. I watch all the time, even the re-runs and look forward to his new shows every week

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@jubilant --no I didn't know but can imagine--that is not unusual at all---and did you know that Charles was adopted by the Pols?   think that is correct.Happy that  Charles has a wife and new family and still live close by his folks. I watch all the time, even the re-runs and look forward to his new shows every week

@wagirl  Yes,  I knew that Dr.Pol and his wife couldn't have children so they adopted a boy and two girls. Some think his way with animals is harsh but one needs a firm hand with all the big animals and he is probably so used to that!  It seems to me the smaller animals don't mind it and it seems to work with the bigger dogs, too.  They seem like a happy family and let's face it.....what family doesn't have a few glitches here and there?  I've never met that one yet....including my own! Ha!