Respected Contributor

Re: The Incomparable Comedian Jackie Mason Has Died at 93

Jackie Mason had a daughter named Sheba who became a comedian like her dad.  He never acknowledged her.  I found that sad, as I met her in real life at an event where she was performing, and i learned that from her directly. I would like to think that they reconciled before he died, for her sake, but I doubt that they did. 

Honored Contributor

You can read about a disagreement he got into with Ed Sullivan, which halted his appearances on the show. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

@Pearlee ...  my Dad too !!  He also loved Jackie Gleason, Buddy Hackett was a favorite.  He loved the stories they would tell!  

@Pantsonfire2  Mu dad loved Buddy Hackett too. (I didn't).  

Hackett was quite crude if you saw him perform in person, my parents went to see him, and my Mom wanted to leave soon after he got started on stage. He was the Jewish equivalent to Redd Foxx on stage. My Dad thought the world of Gleason and how talented he really was. My fave comic was Alan King, he always made me laugh, and his act was clean. He was an inspiration to Billy Crystal. 

Honored Contributor

Love him! That is sad news.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Jackie Mason, a pioneer of conedy!  I always enjoyed him and he made me laugh.  Bringing laughter to someone is a gift and Jackie had that gift all his life.  May he be at peace with God.

Super Contributor

One of my dad's favorite comedians!!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

@Pearlee ...  my Dad too !!  He also loved Jackie Gleason, Buddy Hackett was a favorite.  He loved the stories they would tell!  

Hackett was quite crude if you saw him perform in person, my parents went to see him, and my Mom wanted to leave soon after he got started on stage. He was the Jewish equivalent to Redd Foxx on stage. My Dad thought the world of Gleason and how talented he really was. My fave comic was Alan King, he always made me laugh, and his act was clean. He was an inspiration to Billy Crystal. 

Mine, too, @Shelbelle ! I loved him!. He's the first guy who ever told the joke about his kids stamping their feet in the back seat and crying, 'when we gonna get there, when we gonna get there?' Then he said, 'we aren't even out of the garage yet!!!!!'

Honored Contributor

I never heard of Jackie Mason but I admit I don’t know much about standup comedians before the 1980s or so.
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

Mine, too, @Shelbelle ! I loved him!. He's the first guy who ever told the joke about his kids stamping their feet in the back seat and crying, 'when we gonna get there, when we gonna get there?' Then he said, 'we aren't even out of the garage yet!!!!!'

He also said he and his wife were planning their son's Bar Mitzvah party and his wife invited the immediate world!!!  Loved him !!!

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I never heard of Jackie Mason but I admit I don’t know much about standup comedians before the 1980s or so.

Mason came from the era of a long line of Jewish stand up comics from the 50's and up, he had that Classic dead pan delivery.