Esteemed Contributor

The Imitation Game movie (spoilers)

DH and I finally saw The Imitation Game today. We both thought it was absolutely fantastic!

I love Math and found all of what they were doing very intriguing and fascinating! I found myself so engulfed in his character. (If that's the right word to use).

I found it appalling that he never got the credit he deserved for helping with the war AND for inventing the computer!

AND I cried because of how he was treated because he was gay, and what happened to him in the end (as the words rolling told us).

I was sitting in my chair at the end whispering to my husband, thats just pathetic to treat someone like that, with tears flowing down my face.

Thankfully now days we as a human race have and are coming around to peoples lifestyles choices!

And Ive often read on here about people clapping after a movie but honestly I don't think I ever heard anyone clap after a movie here in our area UNTIL TODAY. The entire audience was clapping (and I saw many had tears like myself, when the lights went on).

In fact I cried half the way home, and that is rare that a movie gets to me as much as this movie did!

I highly recommend this movie for all!

And to add, because of all the talk on here about American Sniper. When we were leaving the theatre there was a line out the doors for American Sniper! I rarely see lines (but we do usually go early to movies but today we went to the movie for 130).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Regular Contributor

Re: The Imitation Game movie (spoilers)

I, too, saw the movie a few weeks ago and thought the acting to be exemplary. Heartbreaking. If u get a chance, watch whiplash...fantastic. i saw american sniper online, too. There is a streaming website that is free. Still alice with julianne moore was great but i thought boyhood a terrible bore and couldnt finish it.
Honored Contributor

There is talk that he might not have committed suicide but that he was poisoned by the chemicals he was using at the time (accidental death so to speak).

From wikipedia:

A post-mortem examination established that the cause of death was cyanide poisoning. When his body was discovered, an apple lay half-eaten beside his bed, and although the apple was not tested for cyanide,it was speculated that this was the means by which a fatal dose was consumed. An inquest determined that he had committed suicide.

Philosophy professor Jack Copeland has questioned various aspects of the coroner's historical verdict, suggesting the alternative explanation of the accidental inhalation of cyanide fumes from an apparatus for gold electroplating spoons, using potassium cyanide to dissolve the gold, which Turing had set up in his tiny spare room. Copeland notes that the autopsy findings were more consistent with inhalation than with ingestion of the poison.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies

Laurel thank you for your. thoughts on those other movies too. We intend to see all of those. (Im surprised you didn't care for Boyhood).

And JustJazz that is interesting and it could be as we saw him working with cyanide in the movie. I guess we will never know for sure. But thanks for posting that.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I saw "The Imitation Game" last Monday. I thought it was a wonderful movie and loved the entire cast especially Benedict Cumberbatch. He was absolutely brilliant. I had no knowledge of Alan Turing before I saw the film. All of the sadness in his life and the effect it had on his personality broke my heart. He should have been treated like a hero for what he did to end WWII. Instead, he was prosecuted for being a homosexual. Can't believe that people were so determined to prosecute him for his sexuality in spite of what he did. That ruined his life and lead to his suicide. I too was crying at the end of the movie. Such a tragedy. I'm glad that things have changed so dramatically since his death.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Esteemed Contributor

A very good portrayal of the desperate times the free world faced in the past. It is our inherited history and especially if anyone had ancestors or relatives caught up in WWII that was happening at the time (and who didn't).

We have our freedoms and liberties due to that mathmetician and his team. There is an enigma over at the Smithsonian in Washington DC for viewing.

My thread is over on Entertainment/Movie Forum if you want to share and post.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Alan Turing's life story is in Dreamers and Deceivers true stories of the hero's and villains who made America by G-e-nBe-k. Turing's story ending gave me physical shivers.

Edited to add, Alan in the book was a hero.

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 JBinRWC said:

I saw "The Imitation Game" last Monday. I thought it was a wonderful movie and loved the entire cast especially Benedict Cumberbatch. He was absolutely brilliant. I had no knowledge of Alan Turing before I saw the film. All of the sadness in his life and the effect it had on his personality broke my heart. He should have been treated like a hero for what he did to end WWII. Instead, he was prosecuted for being a homosexual. Can't believe that people were so determined to prosecute him for his sexuality in spite of what he did. That ruined his life and lead to his suicide. I too was crying at the end of the movie. Such a tragedy. I'm glad that things have changed so dramatically since his death.

I saw the movie a few weeks ago. Since then I've done a lot of reading about Alan Turing. I said on another thread, some of the scenes that impacted me the most, I've learned were fiction.

Alan Turing was an amazing mind. We owe him a lot.

Valued Contributor

In the 1980's there was a play, then BBC movie, Breaking the Code, with Derek Jacobi as Alan Turing. It's been uploaded to youtube.