Esteemed Contributor

Re: The History Of Measles In America

@NoelSeven wrote:

bette, I don't remember anyone talking anti-vax, this is all new to me.

I think I felt the worst with mumps.  The sides of my face hurt so much.  My grandmother kept the house as dark as possible, I don't remember why.  Evidently mumps can cause deafness and she was really worried about that.  She must have known someone who went deaf from getting mumps

My sister had .Mumps, but I never caught them. Drs are still shocked today when I tell them that.

I think the anit-vax thing back then, was mostly poor people, not getting them because of the expense. There were no free vax programs back then. You were also dealing with a generation that survived those diseases, and did not see them as a necessity.  I think there may have ben one or two anti vax/anti government still hanging on. I remember the whispers.. "My dad says their dad is against the government, so they can't get the shots". 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

bette, check out the Jim Carrey update on that line...

I saw it, Good on him! I'm glad to see him getting flamed for his stupidity. 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

It was ad nauseum that the Carey thread continued, why start another one on the subject of inoculations and repeat the same rhetoric?   Unless someone has a doctorate in epidemiology or related field, misguided information posted by less informed individuals can be problematic.

@betteb @NoelSeven @JustJazzmom @Stray

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The real insanity is that measles are so easy to eradicate. To invite them back into society after they've been "wiped out" or kept at bay is an insult to that society.

And when one thinks of all the things with no cure or vaccination even possible, you'd think people would take a great leap in medicine when it happens to heart and run with it.

"We" often whine about why there is no cure for this or that. And then when there is (and has been) one, some choose to trash or ignore it??

And it is of everyone's concern. Because measles is so highly communicable. In that sense, its different than even debates about cancer research lagging or the epidemic level of diabetes in America or the controversies surrounding stem cell research.

ONE case of measles can spread like wildfire throughout a community. Its no one's "personal right" to do that or to expose potentially MILLIONS to what is their short-sighted "decision".

Esteemed Contributor

I guess not all the board scolds have defected to another posting place Smiley Sad *sigh* 

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Hi bette Smiley Happy

It really wasn't all that long ago, I'm sure many of us on this board can remember measles.

I had all three, measles, mumps and rubella, which they used to call the three day measles.  I had them pretty much all in a row, too, which meant I was really sick for several months.  Somewhere along the line, I had chicken pox, too.  Shingles, about 10 years later.

Thank goodness for vaccines!

I had all three too, Noel. To them add Chickenpox and Scarlet Fever.  I think I had all of them before the second grade.  I was very, very sick with the measles.  I still remember the high fevers that caused hallucinations.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@sea breeze

Not that it matters, but I have a Bachelors in Nursing from an acredited 4 year University and I spent many years working in Medical/Surgical and finally Pediatric Nursing as my occupation.

I hardly think I am a less informed individual.

Eradicating one of the most contagious diseases through the use of an injection is a no brainer action to me.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Occasional Contributor

Smiley Very HappyWhen I was growing up I had German measels and regular measels.II had to stay in my room with the shades drawn. I was not allowed to watch television. I remember feeling sick and was glad to stay in bed. Staying in a dark room was to protect my eyes and to prevent complications. I don't agree that measels is no big deal.It can cause a lot of side effects if not properly cared for.

Respected Contributor

yes, the man in Fairbanks

Honored Contributor

It was ad nauseum that the Carey thread continued, why start another one on the subject of inoculations and repeat the same rhetoric?   Unless someone has a doctorate in epidemiology or related field, misguided information posted by less informed individuals can be problematic.

The information is from the CDC and two public health professionals.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices