Honored Contributor

The History Of Measles In America

I've seen so many people say measles are no big deal, they breezed through them.

Well, not everyone did.  Time to look at the facts.  I'm guessing some people will think it's all lies.  My advice is to seek out elderly people who may be able to verify how bad it used to be.

THE HISTORY OF MEASLES IN AMERICA

In 1912, measles became a nationally notifiable disease in the United States, requiring U.S. healthcare providers and laboratories to report all diagnosed cases.

In the first decade of reporting, an average of 6,000 measles-related DEATHS were reported each year.

In the decade before 1963 when a vaccine became available, nearly all children got measles by the time they were 15 years of age.

It is estimated 3 to 4 million people in the United States were infected each year. Also each year an estimated 400 to 500 people died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and 4,000 suffered encephalitis (swelling of the brain) from measles.

http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/history.html

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The History Of Measles In America

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the information.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the facts.............

Spoiler
Smiley Wink
"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Honored Contributor

You're welcome.

Please feel free to copy the facts, should you need them when the subject comes up.

Honored Contributor

Another thing to consider is the cost of treating all those who were sick, espeically those with serious reactions who were hospitalized.

We have a lot more people in this country today, but looking back at one point only, at that time 48,000 were hospitalized each year.

Folks, stop a minute and think of the cost of that and its impact on our personal cost for healthcare.

Honored Contributor

Also the impact on our workforce with lost time and individual income and the use of sick time (if people have it).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Good point, Justjazzmom!

Sick time, yes.  Including all the parents or others who have to take off work to become instant caretakers, or those working who have to take off for elderly relatives.

Esteemed Contributor

General restrictions as well, quarantine and no congregating at public venues....not only implications to Public Health but the economy as well.
Honored Contributor

Here's what that used to look like.  I can remember seeing notices on the front door of homes.

Pink sign warning about Measles and Connecticut health regulations

Brownish/white sign enforcing measles quarantine

Esteemed Contributor

Noel, I remember seeing some of those notices too. As I posted before, I had the measles and they were still vaccinating for small pox at the time. I believe there was still a case or two of small pox in my area, that would have been early to mid 60's. 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines