Valued Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

If you are watching your salt, this cereal isn't for you.  It is pretty high in sodium.

@Still Raining 

You are correct!  They do have a lot of good things in them - good fiber, protein, iron (90%) and so forth.  But yes, if you're watching sodium it looks like they're a bit high.  The high iron content is recommended if you are donating blood (I used to be a volunteer at our local blood bank) and they recommend eating cereal with 90% iron added. 

Valued Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Still Raining 

If sodium is an issue, I don't see it being very serious in this case.

My box of Grape Nuts says a serving size of 1/2 cup provides 12 percent of  the "daily value" of sodium (280 mg)

If we can't consume a mere  12 percent of a day's sodium in one meal, what on earth can we eat for breakfast except maybe a banana or some grapefuit?  Does a low-sodium diet mean NO sodium at all?

I'm not being facetious.  Believe it or not, I really want to know. 

My blood tests-- for years--- have shown that I am low in sodium.  The latest doctor advice to me, which he put in writing, said "eat more salt and drink less water".

When I was working many hours per day on deadlines or with clients, I would sometimes need to reach into the office snack tray and grab a bag of  salty chips---just to keep going.

@Still Raining 

You are fortunate! A lot of people consume way too much sodium - mostly in canned and frozen foods (dinners and such).  My son who is thin as a rail was told by his doctor to slow down on the canned soup and frozen dinners (he was a bachelor).  His blood pressure was up.  And he doesn't ever use a salt shaker!  

But yes, you are probably one of the lucky ones Smiley Happy  Enjoy it!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I read a few years back that people who don't have a problem with sodium shouldn't worry about it.  I don't know if it's true or not, but my blood pressure is good and my doctor just told me this week to just keep doing whatever I'm doing, but probably need to to drink more.   Well, he did say hydrate, but I had fun with it.  I do realize I don't drink a lot.  He wasn't suggesting I go crazy drinking water the way some suggest is needed (usually in the context of having beautiful skin).  

Respected Contributor

Re: The Grape Nuts shortage

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom 

Thanks, but do not  assume I'm so lucky........I am taking blood-pressure lowering medicine for the past six monhs.  And yet along with the precription came the doc's order to eat more salt and drink less water because of the med's diuretic effect.

Apparently, I'm one of those people for whom sodium has no connection with elevated  blood pressure.  I read about this phenomenon and can't figure it out, but never have really watched my sodium intake anyway.  DH has low sodium blood levels, too.  But we make no effort to cut back on high-sodium foods in any serious way.  Got plenty of those around the house.

I do know it's dangerous to be too low in sodium,an essential electrolyte.  Still don't see how  Grape Nuts could be a serious offender to anyone trying to consume a reasonable amount of necessary nutrients  and fiber every day.

And for those who can't find Grape Nuts in a regular grocery store, I do know you have to look hard for it at Kroger and Publix, because they stock very small boxes which can be hard to see on the cereal shelves.  They're pretty high-priced, too.

Thank good ness for the big boxes which can be found elsewhere, such as Walmart.

Honored Contributor

GEMCD:   Love your pun!!   That's a winner!!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I've never had Grape Nuts.  (There's a joke in there somewhere...)

I'm addicted to *dry* Cascadian Farms Raisin Bran.  And I hate raisins.  They get pitched.  And now the boxes say *even more raisins*  waaaah.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I've never had Grape Nuts.  (There's a joke in there somewhere...)

I'm addicted to *dry* Cascadian Farms Raisin Bran.  And I hate raisins.  They get pitched.  And now the boxes say *even more raisins*  waaaah.

Not a fan of Grape Nuts. Its very hard and tough on my teeth,

Honored Contributor

@alicedee 

I have tried several genetics, including Kroger's, and none of them come close in taste or texture, in comparison to the real stuff. But then, my taste buds have changed, and we all are different in our senses, taste being 1 of the 4-5-6, or who knows?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My DH eats Grape Nuts. Ugh. The smell alone gags me. Really awful. Sorry, but there it is. 

Respected Contributor

@Judaline The smell aversion is real with me too.  It's almost like I can feel the nuts in my nose.