Super Contributor

Re: The Grape Nuts shortage

[ Edited ]

GURL... Your doctor is correct.  YAS...  Listen to your doctor.  Might as well eat a Snickers bar.  Some people love to give out FREE medical advise here.  HUM... Are they doctors????

@tarsmom wrote:

I love Grape Nuts!

However......

I am a light eater, especially dinner so I used to have a bowl of Grape Nuts with fresh fruit late in the evening........until...I starting gaining weight!

Grape Nuts are delicious but they are calorie-dense.  Look at the serving size - 1/4 cup.  

My dr. told me I might just as well be eating a bowl of ice cream at night because calories do add up!  I am more careful now Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I've never tried Grape Nuts cereal. What do they taste like? Is there any grape taste or nuts actually in them?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ummm. ...excuse  me for disagreeing with some of the disparaging Grape Nuts comments.

DH loves them, and I occasionally have eaten them, too, ............for years.  That, plus shredded wheat, are my very favorite cereals, so we always have some around the house.

The big 29 oz. Grape Nuts box  in my pantry (bought at Walmart) clearly says a "serving" is not 1/4 cup.......it's 1/2 cup with estimated calorie count of 200.  With some low-fat or skim milk, that's not a real fattening breakfast.

Whole wheat flour and malted barley flour, plus salt and dried yeast are the only ingredients listed on box.

Nutrition info is impressive (if accurate) when it comes to amounts of  protein, thiamine, niacin, vitamin B6, zinc, folate, iron.  No added sugar.

Grape Nuts are very dense and weighty, so  1/2 cup in a bowl with milk can fill a person  up for a long time during a day.

DH still laughs about the time  when he gave a visiting old friend a huge bowl of Grape Nuts with milk........the guy kept eating and eating and finally asked when the bowl would finallyl be empty.  (my husband always overdoes things)

Highlighted
Super Contributor

GURL... YAS.  An EXTREMELY good source of fiber,  which is SO important to your diet.  Some PEOPLE obviously don't get enough of..  Meow !

@novamc1 wrote:

Ummm. ...excuse  me for disagreeing with some of the disparaging Grape Nuts comments.

DH loves them, and I occasionally have eaten them, too, ............for years.

The big 29 oz. box in my pantry (bought at Walmart) clearly says a "serving" is not 1/4 cup.......it's 1/2 cup with estimated calorie count of 200.  With some low-fact or skim milk, that's not a real fattening breakfast.

Whole wheat flour and malted barley flour, plus salt and dried yeast are the only ingredients listed on box.

Nutrition info is impressive (if accurate) when it comes to amounts of  protein, thiamine, niacin, vitamin B6, zinc, folate, iron.  No added sugar.

Grape Nuts are very dense and weighty, so  1/2 cup in a bowl with milk can fill a person  up for a long time during a day.

DH still laughs about the time  when he gave a visiting old friend a huge bowl of Grape Nuts with milk........the guy kept eating and eating and finally asked when the bowl would finallyl be empty.  (my husband always overdoes things)

Respected Contributor

@tarsmom 

Instead of listening to your doctor, who might not really know much about a particular cereal, and who might have some preconceived ideas about it,  why not  take a look at the cereal box and decide for yourself?

Grape Nuts are not a sweetened cereal, other than the sweetness inherent in the ingredients and the milk served with them.

I  have a serious aversion to anything sweet or sugared. but think they are delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

If you are watching your salt, this cereal isn't for you.  It is pretty high in sodium.

Trusted Contributor

Ha! Ha!  Found some today at Walmart, on a shelf above my head and pushed back. Only about 3 boxes.  Had to have a taller young women reach them for me.  Enjoying a bowl right now.  It has been years!  Thanks to those who said they found them at Walmart.  It must have been because they were above my head.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining 

If sodium is an issue, I don't see it being very serious in this case.

My box of Grape Nuts says a serving size of 1/2 cup provides 12 percent of  the "daily value" of sodium (280 mg)

If we can't consume a mere  12 percent of a day's sodium in one meal, what on earth can we eat for breakfast except maybe a banana or some grapefuit?  Does a low-sodium diet mean NO sodium at all?

I'm not being facetious.  Believe it or not, I really want to know. 

My blood tests-- for years--- have shown that I am low in sodium.  The latest doctor advice to me, which he put in writing, said "eat more salt and drink less water".

When I was working many hours per day on deadlines or with clients, I would sometimes need to reach into the office snack tray and grab a bag of  salty chips---just to keep going.

Valued Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@tarsmom 

Instead of listening to your doctor, who might not really know much about a particular cereal, and who might have some preconceived ideas about it,  why not  take a look at the cereal box and decide for yourself?

Grape Nuts are not a sweetened cereal, other than the sweetness inherent in the ingredients and the milk served with them.

I  have a serious aversion to anything sweet or sugared. but think they are delicious.

@novamc1 

True.....but I was talking to him about being confused about being heavier.  They are delicious but they have a lot of carbs.  Once I started watching my portion size and carb intake, my weight dropped.  He was just pointing out calories are calories and to be careful about thinking "oh it's ok to have a big bowl of cereal every night because hey, it's not ice cream."  That's all  Smiley Happy     

Respected Contributor

@newjersey  No grape flavour.  I don't know about nuts.  I myself think it is named GrapeNuts because the granules are about the size ( and hardness) of grape seeds.  They are Not sugary sweet more like toasted grain sweet.  I like mine with milk,  warmed in the microwave and drizzled with real maple syrup.  It is an odd mouth feel at first, like a granular sort of rustic porridge when heated.  it's warm and filling that way.