Regular Contributor

Re: The Gorilla They Killed at Cincinnati Zoo

I  live in the Cincinnati area and think the zoo is a wonderful place.  It is highly regarded for having a top-notch breeding program for gorillas and it has also been excellent in the preservation and the breeding of the extremely endangered Sumatran rhino,  

That being said, I must say I agree that the parents in this incident are most defintely at fault,  All eyes must be on small children at all times - no exceptions.  Children need to be taught early and often that disobeying rules have consequences.  Unfortunately, today's parents would rather be their child's friend rather than their parent.  

The parents of the child are asking for privacy because they know that the backlash is not favorable toward them.  Most people are extremely angry that the zoo had no choice but to kill the gorilla.  Perhaps if the zoo keepers had triled to keep the crowd quiet, the gorilla would not have started to get agitated.  Also, perhaps a zoo keeper that was familiar to the animal should have done something - the animal might have trusted him or her and allowed them to take the child safely out.  

As for a potential lawsuit:  I think it most certainly is a possibility.  The backlash will be be horrendous fort the parents,. but so what?  They will get a settlement and the story will be eventually forgotten.  Very sad situation all around and a very sad day here in CInciinnati.  The gorilla exhibit is my favorite one at the zoo and it is gorgeous.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sad all the way around.  We are supposed to be the smartest on this earth.   And when I see things like this, I have cause to wonder.

Tragic ending for the gorilla.  Smiley Sad   Through no fault of his own, put into a situation in which he could only be the loser.

Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.

This was just posted on NBC News. It makes me furious >: (

A visitor who recorded the harrowing moments after a 4-year-old fell into the gorilla exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo said Sunday that the hulking ape appeared to be more of a gentle giant — protecting the child before the animal was shot dead.

The video shows Harambe, a male Western lowland silverback gorilla, place his paw on the child before the 4-year-old inches back. Harambe gently nudges the boy toward him and then tugs on the back of his pants.

In a separate part of the video, the 450-pound gorilla stands over the boy on all fours, while onlookers shout in the background...

Heartbreaking. I just saw the video in the NBC News article you referenced, and it did show Harambe being gentle with the little boy.  He then seemed to move the boy further away to protect him.  The woman who shot the video mentioned, "I don't know if the screaming did it or too many people hanging on the edge, if he thought we were coming in, but then he pulled the boy down away further from the big group," Kim O'Connor, who shot the video, told NBC station WLWT."

Here's the full story with the video:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/killed-gorilla-seemed-protect-child-who-fell-enclosure-witness-n...

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

100% the parents fault! 

Respected Contributor

Can't help but wonder if the people had remained quiet and calm, if the outcome would have been different.   Had the people been calm, perhaps the gorilla would have remained so, also, thus allowing use of a tranquilizer.  

Respected Contributor

@Say Nay  Thank you for mentioning the NBC News story.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@I like celery YW. The article also said:

O'Connor who filmed the incident, said she heard the 4-year-old say he wanted to go into the gorilla moat.

"The little boy himself had already been talking about wanting to ... get in the water. The mother's like, 'No, you're not, no, you're not,'" O'Connor recalled, adding that the mother was taking care of several other children.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If all I've seen and read about this situation is true, there is no way that the zoo can be held responsible for this.  They went to the limit (killing the gorilla) to keep the curious four year old safe after a negligent parent allowed her child to crawl where he shouldn't.  IMO, the zoo should sue the parent.  This breaks my heart and I don't think about animals much.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@I like celery YW. The article also said:

O'Connor who filmed the incident, said she heard the 4-year-old say he wanted to go into the gorilla moat.

"The little boy himself had already been talking about wanting to ... get in the water. The mother's like, 'No, you're not, no, you're not,'" O'Connor recalled, adding that the mother was taking care of several other children.

This whole thing is beyond sad and I believe an innocent animal was killed in the process.  I get that the zoo had to make a very painful call in order to ensure the safety of the child but I totally have a problem with whomever was in charge of watching him and ultimately allowed him to put himself in that situation.

I know growing up, that never would have happened, never.

Esteemed Contributor

It broke my heart to hear about it. There was absolutely no choice in this unfortunate matter though. No chances could be taken, and the decision had to be quick.

Remember when the lady had her pet chimpanzee for years and years, and he ripped her friends face off attacking her.

The situation was no different if it had been a lion going after the child. One can be as dangerous as the other.

You see parents who pay no attention at all to what their children are doing. Especially at the zoo, a parent should be vigilant. A beautiful l7 year old gorilla was killed b/c of a parent's lack of attention to her child. Maybe this will make parents extra aware with their children at zoos.

It's just very disturbing the death of a 17 year old gorilla through no fault of his own.