Respected Contributor

Re: The Gorilla They Killed at Cincinnati Zoo

@IamMrsG wrote:

qbetzforreal wrote:  Because the gorilla was slamming the child against the wall.

@qbetzforreal  Where did you read/hear that?  I'd appreciate a source for this. 

I'm not the poster who posted the above, but the first news story I looked at reported "slamming.".   Here it is

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/gorilla-attacked-child-who-fell-into-...

So, sad. 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

qbetzforreal wrote:  Because the gorilla was slamming the child against the wall.

A Cincinnati fire department incident report says that the gorilla "was violently dragging and throwing the child" when they were called.

The child was in between the gorilla's legs when the gorilla was shot, fire officials said.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/police-responding-incident-at-cincinnati-zoo/39773436

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

hopi:   the parents should be CHARGED WITH GORILLA ENDANGERMENT

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

A Cincinnati fire department incident report says that the gorilla "was violently dragging and throwing the child" when they were called.

The child was in between the gorilla's legs when the gorilla was shot, fire officials said.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/police-responding-incident-at-cincinnati-zoo/39773436

I watched the WLWT link that shows interviews with their so-called witnesses. The woman chewing gum didn't even see it. The same with the kid who was with her. And I'm not even sure if it's the same woman being interviewed towards the end but that woman says she saw a boy's face and it was "running". Then more speculation. Absolutely atrocious reporting. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

nomless wrote:  I'm not the poster who posted the above, but the first news story I looked at reported "slamming.".   Here it is

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/gorilla-attacked-child-who-fell-into-...

So, sad. 

@nomless  Thank you for the link.  I had not seen that report. I agree, it is a tragic loss.  

While my first inclination is to suspect a negligent parent, the truth is we don't know the facts.  It is also easy to fault the zoo for not adequately protecting the public.  How do you protect 100% of the people from 100% of the poor decisions they may make?  When does personal responsibility kick in?   As John Wayne is famous for saying, "Life is hard.  It's harder if you're stupid." 

I am very familiar with the Cincinnati Zoo, and deeply admire and respect the Director, Thane Maynard.  I am certain his heart is as every bit as broken--likely more so--than any of ours over the loss of Harambe.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

@lyn61 wrote:

hopi:   the parents should be CHARGED WITH GORILLA ENDANGERMENT

O M G  ......I agree with you SO much.  They should also be charged with Child Abuse for allowing their "little darling" to run wild endangering his life.  What in the he-l is wrong with some parents?  They MUST be held responsible for this tragedy.

Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Frosted Cake wrote:

You can hear the mother on the tape yelling to the kid, "Mommy's right here."

Mommy should have been "right here" before this happened.

I've been with children on outings to zoos and animal exhibits and we always hold hands and are aware of our surroundings.   It isn't that hard to pay attention.   Cellphones, selfies, etc.   There is so much distractions out there that parents need to focus on their kids.   

You can't take a good selfie if you are holding your kid's hand....   I hope people come down as hard on those parents as they did on the man who killed Cecil the lion.  They deserve public condemnation. 

Very true.   

I used to tell the kids when visiting the Grand Canyon "We need to be very careful because it's very steep and dangerous." or a zoo "We need to remember that the animals are not to play with or bother but to look at," or even a butterfly exhibit, "Let the butterfly land on you, but don't swat or scare them."    It helps to educate kids to know the dangers and consequences of their actions and respect nature.

That works with older kids, not so well with very little ones.  When my girls were small and we were out and about at zoos and amusement parks and such; I put them in harnesses.  Yeah, leases for kids.  That was close to 30 years ago and even then some people were tsk tsk tsking about putting children on leases.  I did not care!  They could give me the evil eye all they wanted.   My kids were safe and protected.  You never know what a 3 or 4 year old is going to do and they run faster than we can.   My nephew is a Mr Mom, they have three year old and he said he took her to the zoo a week or so ago.  He took her in her stroller and the only time she got out of the stroller is when she played in the baby animal pen with all the othe 3 year olds.  Sometimes when you are a parent.....you have to be the parent.

Regular Contributor

THIS GORILLA WAS INNOCENT.  THIS GORILLA WAS IN HIS HABITAT. THE LEAST THE ZOO COULD HAVE DONE WAS TRANQUILIZE, YES , SOME SAY IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN A BIT FOR IT TO WORK BUT MY GOD, THE GORILLA DESERVED AT LEAST A CHANCE!!!!  ROTTEN PARENTS,,,,,

Honored Contributor

@lyn61 wrote:

THIS GORILLA WAS INNOCENT.  THIS GORILLA WAS IN HIS HABITAT. THE LEAST THE ZOO COULD HAVE DONE WAS TRANQUILIZE, YES , SOME SAY IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN A BIT FOR IT TO WORK BUT MY GOD, THE GORILLA DESERVED AT LEAST A CHANCE!!!!  ROTTEN PARENTS,,,,,

They didn't have time to wait for the tranquilizer to work.  This was a 400lb gorilla.  It would not have happened immediately and he was very agitated and had already dragged the child.  He probably meant no harm but people were yelling they couldn't risk that child's life.  They made the right call.  A child's life trumps an animals life any day, any time, regardless of the circumstances.

Respected Contributor

When they shot it I wonder if it fell on the child or if they waited for an angle where that wouldn't happen.  I think that child will have nightmares for many years about being thrown around by a huge, angry gorilla; looking into its face must have been terrifying.