Valued Contributor

Re: The Gorilla They Killed at Cincinnati Zoo

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I didn't say the mother was on a cellphone, I was just pointing out how distracted our society is today by devices and things other than what is right in front of them.

But parents have always been distracted, long before cell phones and today's devices, though.

As per my example of a mom digging in her purse for tissues or Purell.

A child fell in to a gorilla inclosure in 1996.

Both the child and gorilla lived, but in 1996, there weren't the distractions of electronics for the child to fall inside the inclosure.

I guess it was just another example of a bad move by a parent in 1996 to let her kid fall into the enclosure.

Respected Contributor

A witness on the news was saying the little boy was saying he was going in there. And that the mother was tending to a bunch of other kids. How accurate that is, I don't know. 

Probably a lawsuit is coming, just for the fact the enclosure was compromised by anyone, will probably mean they are negligent

Respected Contributor

The Pittsburgh Zoo settled with the parents for an unknown amount. The parents held the little boy's feet while he stood on the railing to the painted dogs. The railing is chest high on me.  He fell in and unfortunately didn't make it back out. And the exhibit is gone.

Honored Contributor

I hope this thread doesn't go sideways like the previous thread on this subject did.  It's heartbreaking.  A majestic animal like that lost it's life because some nit wit of a parent(s) didn't have enough sense to look after their child.  I hope social services is looking into them!  I call it neglect.  I am so happy that the child will recover but he should never have had to suffer such an ordeal.  I imagine the parents were too busy taking pictures and selfies for all that social media stuff.  It only takes a minute for a curious little one to slip away and get into trouble...or taken.  And an intelligent, innocent paid the price for it.  The zoo acted appropriately.  The employees must be heartbroken.  And no doubt the parents will make the rounds of the moring shows bellowing and blubbering about what the zoo did to THEM and they'll be given a boatload of money.  Sad.  But that's the society we live in now.  People can be irresponsible and neglectful and almost kill their child.....and get paid for it.

Honored Contributor

I  feel the parents were not watching that child, and it does seem to me the gorilla was protecting that boy, they say they drag their babies ,away from what they feel is danger.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

You can hear the mother on the tape yelling to the kid, "Mommy's right here."

Mommy should have been "right here" before this happened.

I've been with children on outings to zoos and animal exhibits and we always hold hands and are aware of our surroundings.   It isn't that hard to pay attention.   Cellphones, selfies, etc.   There is so much distractions out there that parents need to focus on their kids.   

You can't take a good selfie if you are holding your kid's hand....

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I've been with children on outings to zoos and animal exhibits and we always hold hands and are aware of our surroundings.   It isn't that hard to pay attention.   Cellphones, selfies, etc.   There is so much distractions out there that parents need to focus on their kids.   

You can't take a good selfie if you are holding your kid's hand....   I hope people come down as hard on those parents as they did on the man who killed Cecil the lion.  They deserve public condemnation. 

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Frosted Cake wrote:

You can't take a good selfie if you are holding your kid's hand....   I hope people come down as hard on those parents as they did on the man who killed Cecil the lion.  They deserve public condemnation. 

Very true.   

I used to tell the kids when visiting the Grand Canyon "We need to be very careful because it's very steep and dangerous." or a zoo "We need to remember that the animals are not to play with or bother but to look at," or even a butterfly exhibit, "Let the butterfly land on you, but don't swat or scare them."    It helps to educate kids to know the dangers and consequences of their actions and respect nature.

Regular Contributor

TO: MOMCAT

broke my heart that the zoo made a horrible decision to kill this gorilla!!  so many humans  decide that killing is the answer!  i to have rescued many of my dogs and cats. To the rotten humans of the animals i have rescued: i hope karma comes back to get you!

Esteemed Contributor

The parents should be charged with child endangerment.