Honored Contributor

Re: The Gorilla They Killed at Cincinnati Zoo

.....another reason why I don't do zoos, aquariums, and circuses.....if ya want to see an animal go into their natural habitat, i.e. The ocean, South Africa.....no winners here.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

Iwas saddened by the loss of this beautiufl anima, because of negligent parents. I bet he is a holy terror at home. Some kiids really are. You need eyes in the back of your ehad and possess the reflexes of Speedy Gonzales.

I remember going to he zoo when I was a year older. Nevr once would it have occurred to me that I wanted to get inside with the animals.

Number one: soneome explained to me how zoos worked and we were surrounded by adults who had a firm grip and watched us like hawks.

Mind you, this was pre-cell phone. Pre-Interent.   People don't realize that some places are not suited for children under a certain age. I know we have taken toddlers to the National Zoo. Guess what? They were in strollers and or withsomeone holding on to them all the time. I am glad that the little boy wasn't hurt.

The parents should be held accountable in court. I really think so. Just to send a message .

I just found out he was three---that's too young to not either be in a stroller or on a harness. So never mind. 

I keep watching the video and I think the shreiking freaked the gorilla out and he was pobably trying to be protective. It's not becuase I went back and read your comments.  it's just my gut feeling.

Actually, It wouldn't be a bad idea to assess some sort of fine on the parents for the loss of the gorilla.  It isn't just a loss to the zoo, but to everyone else who wants to see gorillas.  Not to mention the whole gorilla exhibit being closed down currently.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:
I am involved in animal rescue and we have a saying that we often hate people. Now I can say I hate parents. Ugh.

@MomCat

Really?  Your own, too? 

All people on earth have parents and most of them did a good job of caring for their children.

There are bad apples in every group, including animals other than Homo Sapiens.

Honored Contributor

This is such a heartbreaking story, I couldn't read it for days. 

IMO the change has to begin with zoos that construct areas that are a danger to children, because this is not the first time a child has fallen into a gorilla or other animal enclosure.

And maybe there are some areas that should just be off limits to young kids.

People Magazine had an interesting report on it, including an interview about this situation with Jack Hanna:

http://www.people.com/article/cincinnati-zoo-defends-itself-after-killing-gorilla

Honored Contributor

The parent should had been watching that child, it is the parents fault that gorilla died,because of her not doing her job,if that little boy would had been killed,it would had been her fault,thank god he was not, but she takes the blame.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

This is such a heartbreaking story, I couldn't read it for days. 

IMO the change has to begin with zoos that construct areas that are a danger to children, because this is not the first time a child has fallen into a gorilla or other animal enclosure.

And maybe there are some areas that should just be off limits to young kids.

People Magazine had an interesting report on it, including an interview about this situation with Jack Hanna:

http://www.people.com/article/cincinnati-zoo-defends-itself-after-killing-gorilla

It was not the zoo's fault.

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

so much sympathy for this aging gorilla and very little sympathy for this precious little child. What is the world coming to???   Obviously some of these comments are from posters who have never been parents!!!

The gorilla was killed, because of parent.

Valued Contributor

Wow. Judge, jury and executioner.  The kid must be a menace, the parents are negligent. I understand wanting to blame someone, but in some cases it's truly an accident.  Of course, the right thing to do was to save the 3 year old. I don't get the venom for the zoo, the child or the parents.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

No I don't think it is the Zoo's responsibility to consider every conceivable way a child - or anyone - could gain access to a no-access area and construct barriers to prevent that - which for someone who is determined would still not be enough.

Look at the pictures of the parents holding their kids over the enclosure.  What if one of the kids suddenly squirmed and the parent dropped him?  Is that the Zoo's fault too.  Should they erect  barriers so that people have to look through glass or something to overcome irresponsible parenting?

When I have traveled to other countries, it is a very different story.  They don't seem to see the need often to even erect rails to hold on to climbing steps with drop offs to the side, let alone try to prevent people from taking unnecessary risks.

What if this mother was walking with her child on a busy street and he said he wanted to go to the other side - and then darted into traffic.  Would you blame the city for not constructing some sort of barrier to prevent his doing that?

Good grief.

Frequent Contributor