Respected Contributor

Re: The Good Old Days......That Weren't

All those sexiest remarks we put up with in the workplace. Continually hostile for many of us. There were laws but not enforced.

"Do you want a career or a marriage?"

"He has a family to support"

"Keep em barefoot and  keep em pregnant " 

"Are you one of those Women Libbers?"

"Women take men's jobs."

"Are you going to have children soon?"

"Hen House" (All female department who were P.H. nurses)

I fought and I sued but not physically hurt, so passed off as a frivolous lawsuit in 1988. Jury trial which with a judge would have been better as laws broken. 13 years of abuse working there. I nearly had a nervous breakdown. PTSD result. My male co worker refused to take direction from me, a female and he was continually insubordinate and paid more of course. I had a higher degree and 13 years experience and was Department Head.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gorgf wrote:

All those sexiest remarks we put up with in the workplace. Continually hostile for many of us. There were laws but not enforced.

"Do you want a career or a marriage?"

"He has a family to support"

"Keep em barefoot and  keep em pregnant " 

"Are you one of those Women Libbers?"

"Women take men's jobs."

"Are you going to have children soon?"

"Hen House" (All female department who were P.H. nurses)

I fought and I sued but not physically hurt, so passed off as a frivolous lawsuit in 1988. Jury trial which with a judge would have been better as laws broken. 13 years of abuse working there. I nearly had a nervous breakdown. PTSD result. My male co worker refused to take direction from me, a female and he was continually insubordinate and paid more of course. I had a higher degree and 13 years experience and was Department Head.

@Gorgf , People who think the " old days " were better are living in a dream world.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie :  In 1970, as a college grad with four years of supervisory experience, I was flat out asked if I was married and I said no.  The response was I would get married and pregnant so no job ( this happened over and over ).  In 1983, when I was Special Services Officer at MCLB Barstow, I went to a meeting with my much older retired Marine male assistant. My counterpart at Vandenberg asked me if I was "Howard's right hand girl"; I responded that " No, Howard was my right hand boy".TG the times have changed!

Trusted Contributor

Newly married and couldn't get a credit card because we didn't have any credit.  LOL.  

Had to wear skirt or dress to work.

Mechanic would only speak to my husband about car repairs.  Funny, because I actually knew more about cars than he did.  My father taught me well so that I'd never have to worry if I ever had a car problem. 

Super Contributor

Back in 1980 I had a new secretarial job at a large company and didn't know anyone yet.  One day a man walked in the office, handed me a dollar and said, "coffee, black".  I just looked at him and said, "I don't do coffee".  The other girl in the office just about had a stroke, took the dollar, and ran for the coffee.  Turns out he was the VP of the company.  My boss couldn't believe what I did, but ended up laughing his *ss off. 

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

I was 24 years old in 1982 and I was trying to buy my house. I had my Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing and a good job as a RN at the local hospital. My father was my Realtor and had found me a great deal on my house. 

I had trouble getting financing because I was a young, single woman. My dad was livid and fought with the finance company every week. ultimately, I did get financed but I had to send them a copy of my degree. 

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

This is something that happened to me when I was 26.  I asked my husband for a divorce and he pulled out a gun that I didn't know he had.  I ran to get my 3 yr. old son in his bed and ran out the back door.  The couple that lived in our upstairs apartment came down to assist and we ran outside.  My husband caught me and put the gun to my temple and told me he was going to shoot me if I didn't stay with him.  The police came and took him away.  The nex day I went to the DA's office to have them charge him and they told me they couldn't because it was a domestic problem.  NOW, you can arrest someone for that.  To add insult to injury, after the divorce I tried to get a credit card and they said I couldn't because I was a single woman.  That was 1971.  I now have excellent credit in spite of them.

Lord, you could go on Dr. Phil !   Hope you are happy now and have plenty of credit.

Respected Contributor

1976 we had trouble getting a mortgage even though we both worked. The powers that be told my husband they wouldn't count my income because "I'd get pregnant and quit".

Respected Contributor

My doctor asked my husband for a cigarette.