Respected Contributor

Re: The Good Old Days......That Weren't

2021, and things are just a tad rosier.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Newspapers used to print the name, age, and home address of crime victims, including sexual assault crimes.

In 1973, DH and I applied for a mortgage. We were both employed full-time but they would only count 2/3 of my salary because I was a woman, AND I was required to sign a statement that the male Loan Officer had typed out declaring that I was on birth control.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

The ADA did not become a law until 1990. Not sure what the 1960's has to do with this Bill that did not become a Law until the above date.

In another post I went into detail on how and why I learned more about the ADA than I thought I ever wanted to know. For many public facilities it makes sense to make all newly constructed buildings up to the present codes.

In the case I was working with, on a City Facility, it made little to no sense. The building was "grandfathered" because it had met all the Code Standards required in 1990, when it became law.

Now this was an Ice Rink, which I have been around many since the 1940's. During those decades I have seen only 1 time where "being wheelchair accessible" might have made things easier. That was when an Olympic Wheelchair Hockey Team was going to practice in our City, and that was to raise money for them.

Did these athletes need that accessibility? No, they did not, because all rinks have a huge opening to the ice surface via the Zamboni Door. This is a machine that cleans and resurfaces the ice for each use.

For our City trying to tell me that spending over $1,000,000 to make this "grandfathered" ice rink meet that code? Ridiculous because 99.999% of those in wheelchairs have no desire to get onto this ice surface. In every decade from the 1940's I have seen 1 instance, that to me says it all.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

All women had to quit their jobs in the 1960s when they were pregnant, if and when they began showing and most employers required a work permit from the OB or doctor delivering.  I had a good bossman and he let me work.  I was small and did not show until I was about 7 months and then I began wearing tent dresses which were the rage.  I worked on Friday and delivered on Sunday.

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

This is something that happened to me when I was 26.  I asked my husband for a divorce and he pulled out a gun that I didn't know he had.  I ran to get my 3 yr. old son in his bed and ran out the back door.  The couple that lived in our upstairs apartment came down to assist and we ran outside.  My husband caught me and put the gun to my temple and told me he was going to shoot me if I didn't stay with him.  The police came and took him away.  The nex day I went to the DA's office to have them charge him and they told me they couldn't because it was a domestic problem.  NOW, you can arrest someone for that.  To add insult to injury, after the divorce I tried to get a credit card and they said I couldn't because I was a single woman.  That was 1971.  I now have excellent credit in spite of them.

@luvmybeetle 

My goodness!  Bless you!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut   My post about my 1960s hospital job had nothing to do with the ADA. It was about a major hospital in a large city that felt it was "good enough" to bring women in labor into the hospital through a dirty basement via a "gong show" transport system. I never could get an explanation of why they couldn't enter through the ER, nor could I get the hospital to at least clean up the basement and put better lighting in that area. I was an 18-year-old parttime clerk with no influence. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I worked for a big corporation during the 1960's and I saw many visibly pregnant woman. They were mostly clerical workers that walked through the plant where I worked to get to their office jobs. 

The jobs in the plant where I worked(hourly workers/not salaried) was hot and dirty. The few women the did work in the plant were built like men, and I don't remember even 1 of them I knew getting pregnant over those years.

So the statement "all women had to quit their jobs in the 1960's when they were pregnant"? Certainly not true where I worked in the late '50's through to 1991.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@hckynut   My post about my 1960s hospital job had nothing to do with the ADA. It was about a major hospital in a large city that felt it was "good enough" to bring women in labor into the hospital through a dirty basement via a "gong show" transport system. I never could get an explanation of why they couldn't enter through the ER, nor could I get the hospital to at least clean up the basement and put better lighting in that area. I was an 18-year-old parttime clerk with no influence. 

@PickyPicky3 

Sorry I went of track with a long post that was obviously off topic, no excuse other than me being dumb. 

I will say, at 18, you appeared to be similar to me. You were one who saw a bad situation and decided to act on it. If like myself, most working around me, chose to complain to me, and remain passive.

Unlike your situation, I got lots of "explanations", most of which didn't make even close to common sense. Most answers I got were "it's been like this since", just as well said Adam and Eve.

Many that directly effected my work environment, I pursued up the "chain of command". Over time and years, I got many of these "it's been like this since", changed to meet the changing atmosphere of the jobs and the types of machinery.

Sorry about going off on you in my other post. The ADA in my situation mentioned, was misused by our City Officials, to bluff most those that attended their Public Meetings, designed to get feedback, while misrepresenting the facts about the ADA.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@hckynut   No problem. I assure you I've made plenty of mistakes but have caught them before hitting "Post". The difference is you have 12,000+ posts and I have 200+. 

If I ever reach your level, this forum will have seen many, many of my "not quite on target" comments.  Heart

Honored Contributor

I had a waitress job once where they had the kitchen downstairs and two dining rooms....  with one dining room down stairs and another dining room up  stairs....Two flights of stairs to climb to get up stairs. 

when you were scheduled to work Upstairs.... (they rotated the shifts so everyone had to work up and down)  you would have about  6 tables to serve that would rotate out about 3 times through out the shift....and with each food order placed, you had to go down the two flights of stairs to place your order in the kitchen... and then go back UP TWO FLIGHTS OF  STAIRS to go back to your tables.  

the food was brought up stairs  on bell hop elevator from down stairs.... and at least they did have a full bar upstairs.  

but my 6 hour shift involved going up and down those stairs none stop. Yes I was 21 and young and fit.  I must have burned a ton of calories!

Now  this was in the  late 1970's prior to computer...internet etc, thus, why the stair climb. Today they would just place  the order and send it to the kitchen via  computer.