Respected Contributor

Re: The Good Old Days......That Weren't

When my children were in school I had a nice part time job that I liked because it was close to home. On day I was called into the office and told I could have a job in the city working for their lawyer who was in the office at the time. I said no and he said they would pay for parking and added more money. I answered no again. He asked why. My answer was because the pigeons pooped on my head. Was never asked again.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Back in the 60's-70's, to apply for a job, ladies had to attach a photo to their resume.  No photo = no interview.  The male interviewer could ask very personal questions such as if you planned to get pregnant and what type of birth control you were on.    If and when a lady got pregnant, she was immediately fired.  We would hide our pregnancies with muu-muu type dresses as long as we could.  Bosses would ask if we were pregnant if we wore a baggy outfit.  There was no maternity leave.  A lady was fired with no chance to return after the baby was born.

There's more...  things are better now.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Newly married and couldn't get a credit card because we didn't have any credit.  LOL.  

Had to wear skirt or dress to work.

Mechanic would only speak to my husband about car repairs.  Funny, because I actually knew more about cars than he did.  My father taught me well so that I'd never have to worry if I ever had a car problem. 

This is funny because just within the last 15 years I went to buy a car and took my husband with me.  The saleman knew that I was the buyer yet he kept talking to my husband.  So I took my hand and reached up and took his face and turned it to me and said, "I'm the one buying the car not him", and he immediately began talking to me instead.  Good ole' boys.  Something I always remember, "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission" (Eleanor Roosevelt).

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

In 1964 after I had been out of high school for a year I was job hunting.  

Went for an interview and the man noticed I had an engagement ring on.  He said he did not hire engaged or married young women because we would get pregnant and quit.  (I did not marry that particular guy.)

Our boss fired a pregnant girl and had a store meeting to tell us that he does not hire pregnant workers.

I experienced no accomodation years later when I was pregnant.  My manager complained that I was sitting at the desk, and sitting was not allowed, pregnant or no.

My next job, the boss told me he wanted me back at work after 8 weeks, both "mentally and physically".  All illegal now, thank goodness, but he never thought the law in any form applied to him. 

Trusted Contributor

@Major Shopper wrote:

When I was a new RN in the early 1980's, we were expected to make rounds with the physician. Literally, it meant following them (mostly male physicians) from patient room to patient room with the charts and opening them up for them. 

As we made rounds, there was one physician, in particular, who would instruct patients to "turn and cough on the nurse!!!"

Also, if we were sitting to chart at the Nurses' Station and a physician arrived, we were expected to stand up and give him our seat! 

Thankfully, those days are long gone!!!

My boss had to sign an agreement with a hospital that stated he would not curse or throw any items at the staff.  Which meant that somewhere, some doc did do that!

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Major Shopper, and I remember the doctors smoking at the nurse's station.

I worked in a grocery store in the 70s and the owners smoked in the back.  Customers were allowed to smoke in the store.  We had ashtrays in the isles.

The doctor's wife in town sat at the reception desk and smoked while patients waited. 

Trusted Contributor

@Terrywu wrote:

My children still look at me strangely when I tell them I smoked in the hospital after giving birth and in the pediatrician's waiting room.

Yes, and the instruction booklet that I got prior to going to the hospital to have a baby said not to forget my cigarettes if I smoked.

Trusted Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

In 1964 after I had been out of high school for a year I was job hunting.  

Went for an interview and the man noticed I had an engagement ring on.  He said he did not hire engaged or married young women because we would get pregnant and quit.  (I did not marry that particular guy.)

@Imaoldhippie  Around 10 years later I was asked if I was on the pill in a job interview. 

I applied for a job at a veterinarian's office back in the mid 70s.  One of the questions on the application was if I got "cramps".

Honored Contributor

Well for myself ,i will take the good old days over how some things are now.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the late 70"s I was having my final interview with a cosmetic company, the interview was done by two men.  The man that would be making the decision to hire me said "we hire woman and call them consultants, men we pay more and call them account managers."   The other man present laughed.   He also asked if I had any obligations like aging parents or anything that could make demands of me.

I worked for the company many years, things changed a lot by the time I left.

libby's folly