Honored Contributor

Re: The Good Old Days......That Weren't

@Major Shopper, and I remember the doctors smoking at the nurse's station.

Valued Contributor

My children still look at me strangely when I tell them I smoked in the hospital after giving birth and in the pediatrician's waiting room.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie i walked out of a group interview with a school district rep who had driven from northern Jersey to central PA to search for teachers.  Same issue.

those were desperate years for growing school districts, so I felt confident I’d find a position-  and I did.  I suspect the district I eventually signed with felt the same way, but at least they knew enough to feel but not say.

Frequent Contributor

In the 70's  working on OB-GYN Floor in the Summer with no AC & no Computers was brutal.  Charting all done by hand & being short staffed, especially on Weekends. Loved my job though.  Only relief was working in Labor & delivery where there was AC.

Esteemed Contributor

In HS I was a sweeper at Old Chicago Amusement park. When people got sick I poured on the powder & swept it up.

I saw alot of shows there and I met my HS BF Heart there so it wasn't all bad.

Respected Contributor

This is something that happened to me when I was 26.  I asked my husband for a divorce and he pulled out a gun that I didn't know he had.  I ran to get my 3 yr. old son in his bed and ran out the back door.  The couple that lived in our upstairs apartment came down to assist and we ran outside.  My husband caught me and put the gun to my temple and told me he was going to shoot me if I didn't stay with him.  The police came and took him away.  The nex day I went to the DA's office to have them charge him and they told me they couldn't because it was a domestic problem.  NOW, you can arrest someone for that.  To add insult to injury, after the divorce I tried to get a credit card and they said I couldn't because I was a single woman.  That was 1971.  I now have excellent credit in spite of them.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first job was as a secretary in the financial district in downtown Manhattan.  I was the email and fax machine.  Because I was the youngest in the office, I was always getting pulled from my desk to walk files from my office to branch offices in different buildings.  It's true what they say about the blocks in NYC being really long blocks.  Like a postal worker, neither rain nor heat nor gloom of night.  Nor wind nor snow nor slush nor ....  Hated that part of my job!  And women didn't wear sneakers to work in those days, I did it all in high heels.

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

In 1964 after I had been out of high school for a year I was job hunting.  

Went for an interview and the man noticed I had an engagement ring on.  He said he did not hire engaged or married young women because we would get pregnant and quit.  (I did not marry that particular guy.)

@Imaoldhippie  Around 10 years later I was asked if I was on the pill in a job interview. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Major Shopper, and I remember the doctors smoking at the nurse's station.

.....and nurses and patients also......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

In 1967 i was in the hospital recovering (?) from the birth of my son. The woman who took down the info about the name for your child would tell!!! you if the name of your choice was acceptable.

Also in the good old days after giving birth you were in the hospitable for 5-7 days.