Valued Contributor

Re: The Genetically Engineered Impossible Burger And The Story Behind It

White Castle has had them for awhile. I tried one. It was just ok but I’ll never get it again. The thought of the fakeness of it and what it’s made out of turns me off. Plus it’s loaded with calories, fat, sodium, etc. in just four ounces. Better off with a veggie burger.
Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

There’s no such thing as a GMO Food Allergy.

There’s also no such thing as GMO causing death.

If people are dying sooner, it’s due to the high amount 

of fat & oil in our diet.

@sidsmom  We currently have more autoimmune disease and more food allergies than ever before. You believe you know what has caused it, I’ve stated below what I believe has caused it. 

But I have mountains & mountains of evidence, studies & history

to back up my words.   GMO illness does not exist.

People are just making up stuff as they go regarding GMO fear

@sidsmom  It’s not just the one thing (as I’ve said numerous times). It’s all the dangerous lab created artificial ingredients, and genetic modifications to our food that is causing such illness. Facts are facts. Our life spans are going down now despite all of the new latest and greatest medical technology. We have no say now in what is done to our food, and that should concern any free thinking person.

(1) In the past 3 years the human life span has decreased significantly. (2) We have more autoimmune disease now than ever before, (3) more food allergies to genetically modified grains,fruits, vegetables, & meats, and (4) more lab created artificial ingredients added to our foods than ever before. It’s no wonder our life expectancy is decreasing. These issues combined are far worse than global warming, but very few high profile people are discussing them because these practices are very big money makers to the biotechnology, food, pharmaceutical, and health care industries

Honored Contributor

Again...nothing to back up the GMO specific illness.

It’s disheartening social media & best seller books continue

to perpetuate this myth.  We don’t die from GMOs.

GMO/Organic is just a distraction from the REAL cause

of modern day illnesses...fat/oil/animal products. 

Respected Contributor

DH and I are pescatarians, meaning we eat fish/seafood occasionally, but it's rare.

We enjoy Garden burders, Morningstar Farms products (they have many) and Boca.  I love their black bean burger. 

DH loves to cook and in the cooler weather, will make a great chili recipe using the crumbles, along with beans, etc.  We've served it to friends/family and they don't realize they aren't eating meat.

We've talked about trying the Impossible Burger, but rarely go to fast food places, but if we did, we both would try one.

Honored Contributor

Monsanto would be heartened by some of the responses in this thread.

Honored Contributor

Everyone should be allowed to choose for themselves how they want to eat. Everyone should mind there own business, and leave people alone, who make choices you do not support..There is nothing worse than someone who hounds others , over things that are none of their business

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@Ketra They say the" Impossible" Burger iis  made from plants. Does anyone know what the plants are ? Maybe Seeweed ?

Check through the posts. I posted the ingredient labels for both The Impossible Burger and it’s competitor, Beyond Meat Burger. 

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Everyone should be allowed to choose for themselves how they want to eat. Everyone should mind there own business, and leave people alone, who make choices you do not support..There is nothing worse than someone who hounds others , over things that are none of their business

@cherry, I agree with your statement.  Several years ago, we moved and the neighbors behind us came over to welcome us to the neighborhood. 

We decided to get together (it was summer) for a cookout on our deck.  We let her know that neither of us eats meat other than fish/seafood and if she wanted to bring her own to put on the grill, it was fine with us.

However, the look on her face was a "WTH?" look.  She just couldn't get over the fact that we didn't eat meat, nor drink cow's milk (we drink almond).  It was as if we were aliens from another planet. 

For the most part, it went well other than her pushing us to try her meat things she brought. 

I will say that was the last cookout that we did with them.  However, we did end up having dinner with them and she made spaghetti and had a separate sauce without the meat for us.  So it did end well.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

OMG-not everyone can eat soy and soy-based by-products!!! There it is-another blanket statement that derails the debate every single time.

I'm not even going to get into FACT BASED findings regarding soy and health.

Also:  Nobody is in hysteria about GMO's.

Just because some do not care to eat GMO foods does not make a person hysterical.

@Cakers3, I believe that I attributed hysteria to some of the comments about GMOs. To clarify, I was responding only to to any who claimed that GMOs have adverse effects on humans. There is simply no data to back that up.

The poster concludes this because she points to a purported increase in certain health issues over a period of time that she thinks corresponds with the advent of GMOs.

That is a classic example of the correlation/causation fallacy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Ketra !

I too enjoy talking about issues which impact our lives and  whether we disagree or not, learning results.  I think if you respect people and listen to them even if you do not agree, you can exchange ideas and perhaps broaden your knowledge.  The problem is if you are passionate about something you may get angry or upset and that isn't a good feeling.  But we need variety in life and that goes for conversations!

I enjoy the forums and learning from the posters also. Everyone seems friendly and caring and there are so many great subjects to talk about.  

Have a wonderful week and keep up being passionate and knowledgeable, don't compromise your ideals, we always welcome well informed people in our lives!

close long term friends and our friendships have been based on differing opinions and learning from each other.  It isn't always easy to do that especially if the subject is a passion of ours and there is not changing minds!  But we place our friendship above it all and at this stage of our lives do not argue or get angry at each other.  I think when I was younger I was more apt to do that and it caused harm.