Trusted Contributor

The Five Quarters Tree

[ Edited ]

Sounds like the Dollar Tree couldn't hang on any longer and is raising their prices to $1.25. The report on the news said it will allow them to offer a broader range of products. I can't imagine how another quarter is going to make a vast difference in what they offer. BTW, I love that store and am currently wearing my Gold Toe argyle knee socks I bought there (in a twin pack, no less!). 

Honored Contributor

This will be a hard one but we all have to adjust to changing times.  I've been in there once, didn't buy anything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

there was an article that my sister forwarded to me about the executives who receive ridiculously high salaries and the profits are in the billions. yet the employees are paid very little and not given good benefits. sad, but nothing new. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: The Five Quarters Tree

[ Edited ]

The company that owns Dollar Tree also owns other businesses, like Dollar General and a couple of others; can't remember the names. The article I read said the Dollar Tree had been keeping the other businesses afloat for years since it is the most profitable of them. Not surprised they pay their top management big money. It's a big corporation. As far as what the store staff is paid, none are ever paid enough. I know someone who worked there a few months, but he quit since he was having to do the work of three people....several of the other employees just didn't show up regularly for their shifts....sounds like it is a common problem now in lots of businesses, not just the $ tree.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This will be a hard one but we all have to adjust to changing times.  I've been in there once, didn't buy anything.

@Kachina624    I was in 99¢ Only this morning (the one with the shocking pink sign).......and some of the stuff was as high as $9.99.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

there was an article that my sister forwarded to me about the executives who receive ridiculously high salaries and the profits are in the billions. yet the employees are paid very little and not given good benefits. sad, but nothing new. 

This has been a business model for many retailers for years.  We're just now concerned about it?  Took a pandemic for us to realize this.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

They're making record profits. This has been an amazing year for the "dollar" stores. So they're just taking advantage of their customers right now because they can.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr