Honored Contributor

Re: The Ever Gracious Garth Brooks

I do like some of his music but I'll bet his ex wife didn't think he was so gracious when he was (and he has admitted to it) cheating on her with his present wife.

Flame away, it's fine.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I do like some of his music but I'll bet his ex wife didn't think he was so gracious when he was (and he has admitted to it) cheating on her with his present wife.

Flame away, it's fine.

@Love my grandkids  Actually, his ex-wife is extremely gracious.  They put aside their differences to raise their 3 children.  They all speak very highly of each other. 

Honored Contributor

I heard about this on one of the country stations this morning. The way they presented it was that he wanted to withdraw from the running because he took a ton of flack for winning last year.  A lot of people were upset because they didn't feel he did anything to deserve the win last year.  

I was one that didn't think he should have won last year.  I was shocked when they announced his name.  I thought Carrie Underwood deserved that win.   Funny that out of 30 awards, it's only gone 6 times to a female. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I agree that this was a nice thing for him to do.  I thought I also heard that he can not withdraw from this award - he does not have that option.

In any event, if Garth can and does withdraw, how is the person who does win going to feel?  I would feel that I was not the true winner because he was out of the running. It would feel like a second place win.

@Puppy Lips   Yes, that's what I heard, too.  I think maybe I heard it on The Highway on Sirius XM.  Since he can't withdraw his name he is just asking the CMA members not to vote for him this year.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

He did the same thing years ago before he retired to raise his kids.

Frequent Contributor

I met Garth Brooks when he visited the children's hospital I worked at about 8 years ago.  He had donated quite a substantial amount of money to help build a "play area" (it was actually much more than that).

He had heard that a 5 year old patient was in our department and was a huge fan.  It was probably more like his parents who were.  Anyway, he came through with the hospital administrators and surprised the family. He gave the little boy a signed guitar and was so gracious.  The parents were speechless.

As he was walking out, no one said a word.  So, I stepped forward and said, "thank you so much for coming by.  We all really appreciate it".  He stopped and shook my hand, asking me what my name is.  I told him and he said, "well, I'm Garth and I glad to have met you".

I'll never forget how handsome he was in person (those eyes!), but more importantly, he was just so selfless, kind, and humble.  What a true gentleman.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Garth fans should catch the Netflix series "The Road I'm On."

It's amazing! 

Loved the documentary. Garth had a normal upbringing -- so he's one of the nicest, kindest, most honest entertainers. Not to mention, he's also a GREAT entertainer.One of his daughters also has a great voice. Trisha seems like a perfect match for him. 

Respected Contributor

My niece knows Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. They volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. They don't do it for publicity, photo opportunities or praise. President Jimmy Carter and Roslyn Carter get out there climbing ladders, hammering nails and painting. Garth and Trisha and my niece do heavy work. They're good people, all of them.

Respected Contributor

@kristina1 wrote:

I met Garth Brooks when he visited the children's hospital I worked at about 8 years ago.  He had donated quite a substantial amount of money to help build a "play area" (it was actually much more than that).

He had heard that a 5 year old patient was in our department and was a huge fan.  It was probably more like his parents who were.  Anyway, he came through with the hospital administrators and surprised the family. He gave the little boy a signed guitar and was so gracious.  The parents were speechless.

As he was walking out, no one said a word.  So, I stepped forward and said, "thank you so much for coming by.  We all really appreciate it".  He stopped and shook my hand, asking me what my name is.  I told him and he said, "well, I'm Garth and I glad to have met you".

I'll never forget how handsome he was in person (those eyes!), but more importantly, he was just so selfless, kind, and humble.  What a true gentleman.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kristina1 wrote:

Hi Kristina1, 

When I met him I had a similar experience in the way he received me. He came off as if, I were the only person in the room and that he was truly glad to meet me. He took the time to make it about his fans. He asked me my name, and repeated it back to me like he was truly  glad to meet you. He thanked me for my support in his career and for being there. It was a truly a beautiful exchange. And believe me, I was star struck, and if I really liked him, I now  loved him. 😊  I walked away with a profound sense of the humble man God created, not a star that Nashville made and who the world believes they know.