Esteemed Contributor

Re: The End Of An Era: No More Saturday Morning Cartoons

There are still plenty of channels via cable that have non stop cartoons.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

We used to.sit with our cereal bowls in front of the tv on Saturday mornings. But we didn't have Nickolodean or the Cartoon Network or any of the technology there is today If we had, we wouldn't have been so.glued to the tv on Saturday a.m. Time matches on. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 10/5/2014 scotttie said:

Anyone remember "Mighty Mouse"

"Heeere I come to save the day!!!!....That Means that Mighty Mouse is on the Waaaayy!"

I was just waiting to read Mighty Mouse!!! LOL and Adelle, me too!! Sadly it is the end of the era. Infomercials vs. cartoons, you know what I'd pick!

Honored Contributor

Two movies I would love to see again and they are not available. "Song of the South" and "Porgy and Bess." Wonderful movies, great music, but too ethnically oriented for these days. To me, art is art, and they were not considered objectionable way back when. Too bad.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

On 10/5/2014 focksie said:

The other day I heard a news segment regarding the racial stereotypes depicted on the Tom and Jerry cartoon(s). They are played on Amazon and iTunes and now carry this warning:

"These animated shorts are products of their time," reads the one on iTunes. "Some of them may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today."

Same with the old westerns from the 1950's.

Respected Contributor

On 10/6/2014 shoptilyadropagain said:

I think I was the only kid growing up who didn't care to watch cartoons. I just couldn't get into them (nor did I like to read the comics in the Sunday paper either). I watched a little bit on Saturday mornings but that was only while I was waiting for the neighborhood kids to quit watching them and come outside to play.

Even though I wasn't into them, it is strange to think that something that was such a major part of my generation is no longer a part of the lives of the youth today.

No you are not. My siblings and I never watched cartoons. Our children did not either.

Honored Contributor

On 10/6/2014 Ford1224 said:

Two movies I would love to see again and they are not available. "Song of the South" and "Porgy and Bess." Wonderful movies, great music, but too ethnically oriented for these days. To me, art is art, and they were not considered objectionable way back when. Too bad.

I bought Song of the South this last year. It was from my childhood memories. I can see it at my house if I want, nothing added by other thinkers. Just total abandon in childhood memories.

Honored Contributor

On 10/7/2014 qualitygal said:
On 10/6/2014 Ford1224 said:

I bought Song of the South this last year. It was from my childhood memories. I can see it at my house if I want, nothing added by other thinkers. Just total abandon in childhood memories.

Where did you get it? I haven't researched it recently but couldn't get it on Amazon for the longest time. My kids did get me the stage version of Porgy and Bess, but I've been looking for the movie version with Dorothy Dandridge, Sammy Davis, Jr., and the great Sidney Poitier (who still lives).

I will check Amazon again.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

I would much rather my child watch Saturday cartoons over being fixated on their iPads, phones and such. I t seems like the 50's generation of cartoons did just fine.
Super Contributor

There haven't been any kids in my house, so I wouldn't know if they stopped playing cartoons yesterday or years ago!