Super Contributor

Re: The Economy is looking very bright again..

On 4/7/2015 lulu2 said:
On 4/6/2015 Kzeks said:

We went through the same thing...

We would watch the same thing happen to our investment..

At one time we lost quite a bit... It was a cause for concern..

All our friends were going through the same thing. Some of them

shuffled their investments around and paid dearly for the mistakes.

Our Financial Advisor would tell us to just sit tight and ride the

wave... That wave had us really sea-sick...

We never touched the investments and just waited it out...

Then in the last few years things turned and are going very well.

Praise God...

I was going to suggest you edit your post. That was a wise move.

Yes, sometimes I put toooooo much info here ... I figure most people

do not know who I am so it does not matter.. and the few who post

here and know me well enough would not say a thing...

Respected Contributor

On 4/4/2015 Cakers1 said:
On 4/4/2015 HiLo said:
On 4/1/2015 Cakers1 said:
On 4/1/2015 Qwackertoo said:
On 4/1/2015 Cakers1 said:

Who in the world said they want the economy to go backwards?? Or can't admit that things are better? Things are NOT better everywhere. That's a realistic and truthful fact.

It gets really old seeing the same thing thrown out around here. The economy is on an uptick but there are still folks hurting. Why can't some of you admit to that???

Sheesh - next we'll get the usual "you just don't like who is in office" schtick.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Agree Cakers1.

I'm certainly not one to break out the pom poms and be a cheerleader for things that are not cheer worthy.

Nor will I break out a tin foil hat and spew doom & gloom.

It is what it is. The numbers don't lie. Good. Or. Bad. Or. In-between.

And I sure as heck don't go around "cherry picking" to fit either party.

edit left out a word. Smiley Happy

It's annoying to constantly read that posters want the worse to happen. I can't even imagine thinking that way.

Just who are the posters who "want the worse to happen?" Personally, I'm looking forward to a higher interest rate for a few CD's on which the interest rates are at the bottom. I would certainly like to have a few extra bucks in my pocket; the cost of everything is so high I am just about breaking even. I try to be realistic about everything and this subject is no exception.

HiLo: You are misinterpreting these posts.

Cakers;: I am merely quoting from the post above which I believe was written by you which plainly says "it's annoying to constantly read that posters want the worst to happen" and I was simply asking who these posters are who want the worse to happen. I doubt there are many who feel this way unless they are well to do and making this a political game.

Super Contributor

From what I see and people I talk with, some are doing ok, some still struggling.

I have read that Charlottes population is expected to double in the next 5 years.

Esteemed Contributor

While things have improved with jobs and the unemployment rate from the recesson there is currently no wage inflation, which would prompt the next interest rate rise. Folks are getting new jobs, but salaries and wages have just not been rising.

People thought rates would start to go up this June, but from the last Federal Reserve Board meeting this might be too soon to expect. I, too, would like to see rates rise sooner than later.

Honored Contributor

On 4/16/2015 Johnnyeager said:

While things have improved with jobs and the unemployment rate from the recesson there is currently no wage inflation, which would prompt the next interest rate rise. Folks are getting new jobs, but salaries and wages have just not been rising.

People thought rates would start to go up this June, but from the last Federal Reserve Board meeting this might be too soon to expect. I, too, would like to see rates rise sooner than later.

I see the wage increases at Walmart, target, etc. as another positive sign.

Employers are having to raise wages, both for good PR and also because it's not as easy to get people willing to work for low wages and erratic hours.

Respected Contributor

There was 0.2% economic growth in the last quarter. That's far from a bright looking economy.

Respected Contributor

I am............pessimistically optimistic...............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Valued Contributor

this is why we don't gauge the economy by how crowded malls are.

The latest ugly economic report has people saying 'recession'

U.S. retail sales were flat in April as households cut back on purchases of automobiles and other big-ticket items, the latest sign the economy was struggling to rebound strongly after barely growing in the first quarter.

The weaker-than-expected retail sales report from the Commerce Department, and other data on Wednesday showing the 10th straight month of declining import prices in April, suggest little urgency for the Federal Reserve to start raising interest rates.

"Hopes for a strong rebound are now fading. The likelihood of a near-term Fed action is almost zero now," said Thomas Costerg, an economist at Standard Chartered Bank in New York.

While March's retail sales were revised higher to show a 1.1 percent increase instead of the previously reported 0.9 percent rise, that was not enough to offset the general weak tone of the report. Economists had forecast sales up 0.2 percent in April.

Futures markets continued to show that traders do not expect an interest rate hike until December at the earliest.

The dollar fell against a basket of currencies, while prices for U.S. Treasury debt slipped. U.S. stocks were little changed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/13/us-usa-economy-idUSKBN0NY1HC20150513

Right now, the bond market, and to a lesser extent the stock market, is betting that yields will continue to fall, or at least not rise precipitously. Considering that the bond market has more or less been in a bull market — bonds gain in price when yields fall — for the last 40 or so years, this has been a profitable trade, and one that traders are loath to abandon.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-retail-sales-disappoint-2015-5#ixzz3aDKAO100

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

On 4/30/2015 Tyak said:

There was 0.2% economic growth in the last quarter. That's far from a bright looking economy.

Most of the country was hit with a HORRIBLE winter season.

The market took that into consideration.

Respected Contributor

I guess it depends on where you live. In general, yes, where I live it looks good. The $1 million homes are selling. But we also have low income and poverty.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero