Honored Contributor

Re: The Economic Side of Natural Disasters

@Noel7I am a climate change believer, but it didn't take climate change to change the little Pennsylvania town in which I grew up. When the river and the creek which squared off 2 sides of the town flooded in the early 70's, besides the extensive damage to private homes, there was massive economic damage and the business district was forever changed.

Compared to the huge disasters of the last few years, those PA floods were small potatoes, but as I just heard the mayor of Sarasota say, if it's your house (or business) that's destroyed, you don't care what size the storm was.  A house ruined by a cat 3 storm is still a ruined house, and a business that can't function pays no one a living wage!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@nomless wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I wonder if anyone is thinking about the economic side of our new way of life with climate change.

I've read that groups in both Florida and California are stressing planning ahead to save our coastlines or plan to move future development back from what is now the shore.  Perhaps call for stricter building codes.

We knew weather extremes were coming, CA alone lost money during the drought and for sure the price of produce rose for buyers.

Natural disasters have occurred all my life. Nothing new about them. Coastal areas have been destroyed in the past, as well. Previous disasters resulted in enhanced building codes which has resulted in less damage when disasters occur.

Yes @nomless , there is something new about them.  As predicted, they are more extreme than ever.  Harvey was the most rain in history, and they are happening more often.  According to reports, we have never seen a hurricane as large as Irma.

The coastal areas in some states is degrading at a rapid rate and taking houses down with them.

There will have to be new building codes, and planning for a different pattern of building.

Yes  but 2 hurricanes does not make a trend. We've gone nearly a decade with an uncommonly low  number of hurricanes. 

@nomless

A news report last night said this is the only year where two hurricanes touched down, and they were larger and carried more water for destruction.

It isn't just the hurricanes, either, its other issues like drought, the warming of the oceans killing off sea life, the rising oceans covering more land.  It goes on and on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a small company located here in Colorado who has come up with a way to take sewage and make it into drinking water PLUS convert some of it to gas for use in vehicles. This company is cutting edge and scientists from around the world are coming here to study this new technology. I think it is so cool!

tetratech dot com 

Read about the Konza Technopolis! It's possible.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There is a small company located here in Colorado who has come up with a way to take sewage and make it into drinking water PLUS convert some of it to gas for use in vehicles. This company is cutting edge and scientists from around the world are coming here to study this new technology. I think it is so cool!

tetratech dot com

I think it's cool, too!  Technology will be able to help us advance a lot, imo.  We need to invest wisely in it now.

Respected Contributor

Texas has $50 BILLION in a "rainy day fund" As far as I know there have no announcements that they will tap this fund. If not, why not?

Honored Contributor

Miami newspapers and others are saying Harvey and Irma will cost hundreds of billions in federal aid.

Can we keep up with that cost if we don't make changes for coming disasters?

Honored Contributor

download.jpg

Philadelphia's first fire department was formed because of what he said. Prevent fires before they start. Not just fix things after they burn down.

Honored Contributor

All I can say is run for office if you feel your priorities are being overlooked.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

All I can say is run for office if you feel your priorities are being overlooked.

@AuntG

No thanks, this isn't politics, it's science.

But hey, if the earth and its survival isn't a priority, what is?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

download.jpg

Philadelphia's first fire department was formed because of what he said. Prevent fires before they start. Not just fix things after they burn down.

Great analogy @SilleeMee !