@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The problem with that is there are too many different points of view.

Not ALL scientists believe in climate change or global warming.  So some people are following the advice of a scientist.  But not with the same belief as others.

Not all doctors would give the same advice.  That's why people go for second or even third opinions.  So most people do follow a doctor's advice but again, that doctor's advice may be different from your advice so who is right?

And again, all financial experts don't agree on the same manner of investments, etc. 

@Lipstickdiva

97% of the world's leading scientists in the field know global warming has been happening for some time now.

Every civilized country in the world is working with the group dedicated to figuring out what can be done.  There is no question about it.  There really are not too many points of view on this.  They are in agreement.

@Noel, lol we posted at about the same time.  So true.  It is not just that natural disasters have always occurred.   Many people don't understand the evolvement of history that when many of those other signficant natural disasters occurred in past history, they were also tied to increased emissions such as a huge volcanic eruption which impacted the climate. 

The issue of climate change is very complex and I think many people don't understand or have not taken the time to really understand other periods in history and events that impacted the climate at that time.  It is just easier to say that there have always been natural disasters.

The irony is that there is quite a bit of potential positive economic growth from accepting the science of climate change. 

I really don't understane why you want to attach others who do not share your opinion.  Does it make you feel superior?  Why would you assume that others are not just as knowledgable as you, just have come to different conclusion.  Happens everyday

She is talking about proven facts not her personal opinion. If others understood that they would not be denying the facts.

Nothing is PROVEN.  It is conjecture based upon current observations.  Making conclusion based upon that is opinions.

I guess if you watch Fox News that is what would be told to you.

Don't watch Fox News, but that is always a good come back when you have nothing else. 

No its not a matter of having nothing else its a matter of trying to debate a denier. So it is a moot point. You refuse to see how climate is impacting the world. And it is not a matter of oh we stop this or that we can reverse the damage. Nope its done it will only get worse. We are at such a crucial point in this world that all we can do now is to slow down the progression. But no I have nothing to say on the matter. Nope nothing at all. Have you even read any of my posts? I am getting my facts from scientist in the field who work along with my colleagues. But again no facts here. smh.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Economic Side of Natural Disasters

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

The talk of building codes come as if this is new or the local cities or towns don't have them  for the most part they do. It is up to them to be enforced and to follow the recommendations of the engineering inspectors who are telling them.  What needs to be done.

Case in point a very expensive and popular restaurant here in NYC that sits along Central Park has failed building codes for years to the point that it got so expensive for them they had to close. What were they consistently failing? No sprinklers in the ancient wood ceilings of their dining rooms. Why? Because the cost to put them in and get them up to code would be very expensive. Finally the cost of human life became to much they shut down before it became public with a "we will be opening in the spring" They had to literally gut the place. So yes the city and the commercial re-insurance provider tries to get the buildings up to code but if the owners are unwilling then the potential for catastrophic events is greater.

Same thing happens in cities that allow sub standard building in areas that have historical flooding. 

The City of New Orleans is below sea level, yet they are rebuildong. 

This is a big part of the problem. Areas that really aren't fit for human habitation in relation to the weather that destroys it on some kind of regular basis, is constantly being built, expanded and rebuilt. 

People who choose to live in areas where this happens again and again need to bear the brunt of the financial responsibility for doing so. 

The whole country needs to bear the brunt not just NY,NJ,Calif and Conn. We pay the highest % for catastrophic natural and man made disasters. As for the rebuilding as I said prior posts the levees need to be upgraded. A lot of these areas house the poor who can not just pick up and move. It is a human made issue compounded by rising water levels which is due to climate change. This is not my opinion this is based on science. I work in the field of Commercial Re-Insurance albeit on the financial and legal side of engineering but I as a layman have read enough reports and reviews of these areas to know what is needed and what is around the corner.

@AngusandBuddhasMom  is correct.  There is a very distinct difference between opinion and fact.

FACT: Ocean temps have been measured for decades and decades.  The temp has risen, some ocean life is dying off. Backed by evidence.

OPINION: No it's not. No evidence.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

The talk of building codes come as if this is new or the local cities or towns don't have them  for the most part they do. It is up to them to be enforced and to follow the recommendations of the engineering inspectors who are telling them.  What needs to be done.

Case in point a very expensive and popular restaurant here in NYC that sits along Central Park has failed building codes for years to the point that it got so expensive for them they had to close. What were they consistently failing? No sprinklers in the ancient wood ceilings of their dining rooms. Why? Because the cost to put them in and get them up to code would be very expensive. Finally the cost of human life became to much they shut down before it became public with a "we will be opening in the spring" They had to literally gut the place. So yes the city and the commercial re-insurance provider tries to get the buildings up to code but if the owners are unwilling then the potential for catastrophic events is greater.

Same thing happens in cities that allow sub standard building in areas that have historical flooding. 

This is a big part of the problem. Areas that really aren't fit for human habitation in relation to the weather that destroys it on some kind of regular basis, is constantly being built, expanded and rebuilt. 

People who choose to live in areas where this happens again and again need to bear the brunt of the financial responsibility for doing so. 

The whole country needs to bear the brunt not just NY,NJ,Calif and Conn. We pay the highest % for catastrophic natural and man made disasters. As for the rebuilding as I said prior posts the levees need to be upgraded. A lot of these areas house the poor who can not just pick up and move. It is a human made issue compounded by rising water levels which is due to climate change. This is not my opinion this is based on science. I work in the field of Commercial Re-Insurance albeit on the financial and legal side of engineering but I as a layman have read enough reports and reviews of these areas to know what is needed and what is around the corner.

@AngusandBuddhasMomis correct.  There is a very distinct difference between opinion and fact.

FACT: Ocean temps have been measured for decades and decades.  The temp has risen, some ocean life is dying off. Backed by evidence.

@Noel7 scary isn't it? But after what happened in 2016 I am not surprised.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is controversial

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom  is correct.  There is a very distinct difference between opinion and fact.

Prove what is causing it! 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMomis correct.  There is a very distinct difference between opinion and fact.

@AngusandBuddhasMom

You've done a good job of detailing, adding facts and teaching.  I gave that up to some degree because I think some only want to stir things up and have no interest in even reading examples people like you and I put time and energy into providing.

I've tried to make a deal with myself to ignore the pot stirring, it's just a power play to get lines of conversation taken down.  Frustrating, I know.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom

You've done a good job of detailing, adding facts and teaching.  I gave that up to some degree because I think some only want to stir things up and have no interest in even reading examples people like you and I put time and energy into providing.

I've tried to make a deal with myself to ignore the pot stirring, it's just a power play to get lines of conversation taken down.  Frustrating, I know.

@Noel7 thanks I agree with you. They wont change just get nastier.

Respected Contributor

The Earth has heating & cooling perids, it always has & always will. Golbal warming is nothing but a money making scam & we should be very worried to what end all this money is being used for. The so called experts have lined their pockets & lied, data has been manipulated & real scientist who don't agree with the nonsense have been silenced. I have to shake my head at those who have everything & spare no expense for themselves shame others by telling them they are killing the planet so ride your bike to work or car poll & how dare you want to use fossil fuels. There a billions of people with no assess to electricity or a clean water source & this is what we squander money on? How do you think Earth as we know it now was formed? Glaciers melted, land masses shifted, oceans formed &  waterways, some dried up & formed again. The Earth & weather patterns are constantly changing & always will...whether human beings are in on the planet or not. The very idea that we should change our way of living now to help people in the future is ridiculous, they will find advances we can't imagine now. Too bad we have no concern at all about the huge debt they are passing along to them, that is really going to effect their life.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Let's get to the nub of this matter:  Even if you believe there is no such thing as climate change, why not put a few precautions in place to err on the side of caution?  Why not? Refusing to do so is simply being willful and stubborn about your point of view.

As for those who like to say, "I'm not a scientist, so I really do not know if there is climate change or not," your argument is specious.  Are you a doctor?  Most of you will answer no to that, and yet you follow your doctor's advice, don't you?  Are you a financial adivisor?  Most of you will answer no to that question, too, and yet you follow the advice of your broker or whoever (if you have one).  I could bore you with more examples, but I am certain you understand my point.

Just err on the side of caution for now.   

The problem with that is there are too many different points of view.

Not ALL scientists believe in climate change or global warming.  So some people are following the advice of a scientist.  But not with the same belief as others.

Not all doctors would give the same advice.  That's why people go for second or even third opinions.  So most people do follow a doctor's advice but again, that doctor's advice may be different from your advice so who is right?

And again, all financial experts don't agree on the same manner of investments, etc. 

@Lipstickdiva

97% of the world's leading scientists in the field know global warming has been happening for some time now.

Every civilized country in the world is working with the group dedicated to figuring out what can be done.  There is no question about it.  There really are not too many points of view on this.  They are in agreement.

Please state where you see that 97% of scientists and in what field 'know' that global warming has been happening. 

The fact that they had to start using the term 'climate change' when they couldn't sell it under the first title is one clue that they may not know what they claim they do.

Honored Contributor

SMH