Honored Contributor

The Economic Side of Natural Disasters

I wonder if anyone is thinking about the economic side of our new way of life with climate change.

I've read that groups in both Florida and California are stressing planning ahead to save our coastlines or plan to move future development back from what is now the shore.  Perhaps call for stricter building codes.

We knew weather extremes were coming, CA alone lost money during the drought and for sure the price of produce rose for buyers.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Economic Side of Natural Disasters

I think someone at the Federal level needs to start thinking about it.  They also need to nix the idea of reducing meteorological services to save money.  Can you imagine not have sufficient hurricane warnings even though the technology exists to give them? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I wonder if anyone is thinking about the economic side of our new way of life with climate change.

I've read that groups in both Florida and California are stressing planning ahead to save our coastlines or plan to move future development back from what is now the shore.  Perhaps call for stricter building codes.

We knew weather extremes were coming, CA alone lost money during the drought and for sure the price of produce rose for buyers.

Natural disasters have occurred all my life. Nothing new about them. Coastal areas have been destroyed in the past, as well. Previous disasters resulted in enhanced building codes which has resulted in less damage when disasters occur.

Esteemed Contributor

If the events of the past 2weeks don't make that extraordinarily clear to our federal government, I don't think  anything would convince them. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think someone at the Federal level needs to start thinking about it.  They also need to nix the idea of reducing meteorological services to save money.  Can you imagine not have sufficient hurricane warnings even though the technology exists to give them? 

Excellent point @Kachina624

I was also thinking of the billions needed in federal help, and we already have other hurricane lined up.  Will we be able to sustain that level of disaster repair, year after year?  Maybe there's a better way through planning strategies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Natural disasters have occurred all my life. Nothing new about them. Coastal areas have been destroyed in the past, as well. Previous disasters resulted in enhanced building codes which has resulted in less damage when disasters occur.

Yes @nomless , there is something new about them.  As predicted, they are more extreme than ever.  Harvey was the most rain in history, and they are happening more often.  According to reports, we have never seen a hurricane as large as Irma.

The coastal areas in some states is degrading at a rapid rate and taking houses down with them.

There will have to be new building codes, and planning for a different pattern of building.

Honored Contributor

I have some friends who live completely off the grid. Their homes are totally self-sustainable with no ties to any public or private energy sources. They create their own energy, use it wisely and have learned to live a whole different kind of lifestyle. I have been interested in this kind of living for a long time. It takes learning what to do and how to do it. Everything from your roof to the ground beneath your feet is carefully analyzed to make the most of the natural environment. Special low-energy home appliances are used in the homes, too. The whole thing is very fascinating to me. 

Honored Contributor

If we ignore the rising cost of "natural" disasters, it will only increase and you and I will be paying for them.

How long can we sustain that, and wouldn't it be better to plan ahead in order to lessen the impact of disasters?

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@nomless wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Yes @nomless , there is something new about them.  As predicted, they are more extreme than ever.  Harvey was the most rain in history, and they are happening more often.  According to reports, we have never seen a hurricane as large as Irma.

The coastal areas in some states is degrading at a rapid rate and taking houses down with them.

There will have to be new building codes, and planning for a different pattern of building.

Yes  but 2 hurricanes does not make a trend. We've gone nearly a decade with an uncommonly low  number of hurricanes. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have some friends who live completely off the grid. Their homes are totally self-sustainable with no ties to any public or private energy sources. They create their own energy, use it wisely and have learned to live a whole different kind of lifestyle. I have been interested in this kind of living for a long time. It takes learning what to do and how to do it. Everything from your roof to the ground beneath your feet is carefully analyzed to make the most of the natural environment. Special low-energy home appliances are used in the homes, too. The whole thing is very fascinating to me. 

It's fascinating to me, also @SilleeMee

I hope there's also more effort put into.converting ocean water into drinking water.