Honored Contributor

Re: The Duggars are offering to adopt the 13 children....

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@Noel7. Yes the connection was with the wacko leader of their religion and others in it. Amy was brought up in a normal home and had no brothers or sisters. She went to school, had boyfriends,etc. like normal people. However, I think she has a motive behind all this.

@proudlyfromNJ

Check out what Amy said about her immediate family.  Amy needs therapy and to be taken care of herself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@Noel7  Ok.

Sorry, I get very protective of children and have worked in that area. 

@proudlyfromNJ

Edit: Those 13 children need to be with people who are experienced, well trained foster parents, because it's not going to be easy.  The children will need so much in the way of not only therapy but taken to experts in the field of learning, not to mention a lot of medical appointments and most likely physical therapy. 

Love is not enough, especially when it's an unprepared 31 year old, with the best intentions, who, herself, had been abused and may need help.

Honored Contributor

Foster care is not always a bad experience.  Amy Duggar does not  sound like the right person to provide a home to them:/

Respected Contributor

I don't think Amy has any or enough experience to deal with these children.

I question her motives also.

Valued Contributor

Perhaps a previous commenter said this, but I read that an uncle wants to adopt them.  

Not sure, but might be brother of the father of kids. 

These unfortunate children will need ongoing psychological help.    There are so many problems that will surface.  I hope and pray those kids find a peaceful,  safe, love-filled environment in which to unravel their delicate psyches of the abuse. 

Only then can they learn to rebuild a normal mental network -- starting with trust.  

Honored Contributor

I can't even begin to think of all the medical help they will need.  imo the starvation needs to be addressed right away, those kids are going to need a lot of nutrients, a planned diet, I suspect.

Physical therapy with muscle building. Learning to read and write.  Some may need glasses.  Dental work. It's overwhelming.

Honored Contributor

I've watched her on tv and think Amy's a flake. I doubt they would award her custody. She's not that old either. These kids need special care that I doubt she would be able to provide them. I hate to see them seperated, but the Duggars are not the answer.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

How does the adopt function work for adults?

Seven of the 13 are over the age of 18.

Stupid question....can an adult be ‘adopted?’

(I realize their mental age is/could be much ‘younger’)

Honored Contributor

I have never watched the Duggars, so I can't make any judgment on that issue.

What these poor children need is for an organization to donate a house for them to all live together, and have professionals of every kind come in and care for them with love, medical needs, education, and socialization.  I think it is imperative that they stay together.  It's still going to be a long shot as to how they can ever be normalized enough . . . perhaps the younger ones have a chance more so than the older ones.

It's going to "take a village," so to speak.  But if enough donations can be made, and the caretakers carefully vetted and paid, I think they would have a chance.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Noel7

How does the adopt function work for adults?

Seven of the 13 are over the age of 18.

Stupid question....can an adult be ‘adopted?’

(I realize their mental age is/could be much ‘younger’)

Yes, an adult can be adopted.  I doubt that will happen with the older children.  I read where they will have special legal consideration taking into account their mental age which has been stunted.