Respected Contributor

Re: The Countess of Wessex Visits Sierra Leone

@stevieb wrote:

Sophie, another very positive addition to the royal family. She's a hard worker and seems always congenial. One has to wonder if she, along with others, hasn't had to up her game to pick up the slack...

@stevieb  I think everyone will be picking up the slack, especially in the future.

Philip, Andrew, Harry and Meghan are now out of the picture.

The Queen, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and the Prince and Princess of Kent are all up there in years. To a much lesser degree, so are Charles, Anne and Camilla. When they retire or pass away who will undertake all their charities, engagements, tours, etc? 

Charles has talked about slimming down the monarchy when he becomes king. I believe his idea was to have only his children, their wives and his grandchildren as working royals. Now that Harry and Meghan are no longer in the picture, it seems it will fall to Will and Kate - and their children when they're older - to take on the majority of the work.

The royal family takes on alot of engagements. This chart is from 2018. 

Image result for chart showing the royal family engagements 2019

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@lmt 

Thank you for posting.

She has way of being with people, kindly available, without overtaking.

@Drythe  Sophie is a great asset to the royal family. She's very genuine with people and that's not something you can fake - either you have it or you don't. Sophie has it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a growing respect for Sophie, Countess of Wessex. She personifies the royal adage of "keep calm and carry on". She does what needs to be done with a quiet grace, bringing attention to whatever cause she is championing and letting that charity take the spotlight, not herself. 

On the other hand, it all went downhill for me with Meghan after their recent tour of southern Africa. That one "woe is me" pity party interview with Meghan destroyed all the good will that Meghan and Harry could have generated during that trip. By shining the public spotlight on her own personal problems instead, especially against the backdrop of the harsh poverty and many larger societal problems of the countries that she visited, she came across as shallow, self absorbed and lacking an understanding of what it means to really be a humanitarian. She lost my respect after that. 

Anyway, thank you to the original poster for shining a spotlight on the excellent humanitarian work of the Countess of Wessex. Bravo Sophie! 👏👏