Honored Contributor

Re: The Coronavirus Is Never Going Away

Given the seemingly unstoppable world wide spread that might ebb and flow but that has been somewhat consistent over the better part of the year, I think I'd pretty much already figured out this one isn't going away. Effective treatments and vaccines are the way to go. The stopping the spread ship has sailed, here and elsewhere.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Just how are we to know who has been vaccinated?

Are we going to be at the point where one must wear a letter or symbol on their clothing indicating they are not desirable persons in our society?  Or produce papers that indicate you have been vaccinated?  I cringe at these thoughts.

I think some are going off the rails regarding vaccines.  There are people who cannot take flu shots.   Demanding that they take a vaccine that is not yet even ready, let alone proven safe, is really jumping to conclusions.

DH and get flu shots.  We mask, we distance, we minimize going out.

But calling people hypocrites is a stretch.

Yes, some vaccinations are mandatory, required for school, etc.

However, I don't believe we are going to eradicate COVID-19 as we did with smallpox.

The issue here isn't who is getting a vaccine or not.  The issue is how will this be enforced.

And a vegan wearing a leather belt has what to do with this topic?

Apples and oranges.  Again.

@Cakers3, actually conversations about requiring a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 is beiing discussed in other countries currently.

There are some in other countries that are considering issuing a bracelet or card for those that receive the vaccine and requiring proof of immunization to travel, teach, work in the hospital,  etc.  Not saying I agree with it.  Just saying these things are already being discussed in other countries.  I believe Italy is one country that is somewhat considering something along this line.  Who knows if they will decide to do anything at all.  Or if they do decide, what that might look like.

I do know that here, one of the local infectious disease docs has started conversations with others that the first year the vaccine is out to allow voluntary immunization for hospital employees.  He is floating a proposal to wait until after the first round and if no problems occur & the public has a better acceptance of the vaccine, that hospitals then implement a requirement for vaccination in order to work at the hospital.  Similar to what they do for influenza vaccinations today.

As far as the actual vaccine, I will look at the data and the number of people in the phase 3 trial.  If  they have a robust sample for that particular vaccine and nothing stands out as worrisome, I will most probably take the vaccine when it is available to me.  But I will have to look at the number of subjects in that specific phase 3 trial and the specific data.  So I can't say I will be the first in line and I can't say that I don't intend to take it when available.  Too much up in the air at this point so I will to wait and see.  But I am not ruling it out altogether.  

@pitdakota   Which begs the question-why THIS virus?

I am extremely uncomfortable with bracelets and other identifying items.

Mandatory, not optional, checkpoints?  NYC has its plan ready to go.

Filing travel plans?  Workers to "check in on you" and make sure your "papers" have been filed?

I understand the concern; I'm not sure when we will ever see DS and family again-and they are 5 minutes away.

I want people to understand I'm asking questions.  I do think it is important that we all look at them and discuss them with thinking, not knee-jerk reactions that are often accompanied by lectures and disdain at those who would not agree.  (Not you.)

The vaccine isn't on my radar right now; I will leave that to the ones working on them and those who participate in trials.

Whether I will get it, eventually, is not something I can answer at this moment.

It doesn't mean I'm ignoring this pandemic; it doesn't mean I don't "get" how serious this is.  Everyone has concerns at both ends; and accepting without questioning is not something I can do.  .

I appreciate your input as always; knowing your professionalism and courteous replies always leaves an opening for discussion with questions and answers, and I thank you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Even a vaccine doesn’t mean we can’t get it, just hopefully a much less severe case and treatable. There will always be a sector who refuse to get the vaccine just like there are some who won’t get a flu shot. We always had new teachers who would refuse the free flu shot the school nurses gave....because they never got the flu. Sure enough...they didn’t get the shot, they got the flu, and usually spread it around and missed work with no sick days. Happened more times than I can remember. No vaccine will be 100% guaranteed...and I don’t want to be a guinea pig either. My hope is they don’t rush or shortcut anything in developing the vaccine due to the amount of pressure coming from every direction.
Honored Contributor

Only thinking out loud here.......

My guess is that voluntary vaccinations to begin with might be a good idea...........

With vaccine's success and good luck, more people might then want to be vaccinated.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

This is a just another political piece coming from the left ..The Atlantic 

Totally agree.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
on the bay wrote:
morning lover wrote:
Porcelain wrote:

SeaMaiden  

There's another current story on the Atlantic website that is extremely sobering reading.

How the Pandemic Defeated America

A virus has brought the world’s most powerful country to its knees.

This is a just another political piece coming from the left ..The Atlantic 

Yes, I 'm sure all those deaths were all just a political statement!

The article is used for political / ideological purposes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 

Can't you visit with your son and his family outdoors, like in the backyard or front lawn, everyone wearing masks and socially distancing?  Or in a park if you live in an apartment? I was confused by your statement that you don't know when you will ever see them again although they live only a few minutes away. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Just how are we to know who has been vaccinated?

Are we going to be at the point where one must wear a letter or symbol on their clothing indicating they are not desirable persons in our society?  Or produce papers that indicate you have been vaccinated?  I cringe at these thoughts.

I think some are going off the rails regarding vaccines.  There are people who cannot take flu shots.   Demanding that they take a vaccine that is not yet even ready, let alone proven safe, is really jumping to conclusions.

DH and get flu shots.  We mask, we distance, we minimize going out.

But calling people hypocrites is a stretch.

Yes, some vaccinations are mandatory, required for school, etc.

However, I don't believe we are going to eradicate COVID-19 as we did with smallpox.

The issue here isn't who is getting a vaccine or not.  The issue is how will this be enforced.

And a vegan wearing a leather belt has what to do with this topic?

Apples and oranges.  Again.

@Cakers3, actually conversations about requiring a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 is beiing discussed in other countries currently.

There are some in other countries that are considering issuing a bracelet or card for those that receive the vaccine and requiring proof of immunization to travel, teach, work in the hospital,  etc.  Not saying I agree with it.  Just saying these things are already being discussed in other countries.  I believe Italy is one country that is somewhat considering something along this line.  Who knows if they will decide to do anything at all.  Or if they do decide, what that might look like.

I do know that here, one of the local infectious disease docs has started conversations with others that the first year the vaccine is out to allow voluntary immunization for hospital employees.  He is floating a proposal to wait until after the first round and if no problems occur & the public has a better acceptance of the vaccine, that hospitals then implement a requirement for vaccination in order to work at the hospital.  Similar to what they do for influenza vaccinations today.

As far as the actual vaccine, I will look at the data and the number of people in the phase 3 trial.  If  they have a robust sample for that particular vaccine and nothing stands out as worrisome, I will most probably take the vaccine when it is available to me.  But I will have to look at the number of subjects in that specific phase 3 trial and the specific data.  So I can't say I will be the first in line and I can't say that I don't intend to take it when available.  Too much up in the air at this point so I will to wait and see.  But I am not ruling it out altogether.  

@pitdakota   Which begs the question-why THIS virus?

I am extremely uncomfortable with bracelets and other identifying items.

Mandatory, not optional, checkpoints?  NYC has its plan ready to go.

Filing travel plans?  Workers to "check in on you" and make sure your "papers" have been filed?

I understand the concern; I'm not sure when we will ever see DS and family again-and they are 5 minutes away.

I want people to understand I'm asking questions.  I do think it is important that we all look at them and discuss them with thinking, not knee-jerk reactions that are often accompanied by lectures and disdain at those who would not agree.  (Not you.)

The vaccine isn't on my radar right now; I will leave that to the ones working on them and those who participate in trials.

Whether I will get it, eventually, is not something I can answer at this moment.

It doesn't mean I'm ignoring this pandemic; it doesn't mean I don't "get" how serious this is.  Everyone has concerns at both ends; and accepting without questioning is not something I can do.  .

I appreciate your input as always; knowing your professionalism and courteous replies always leaves an opening for discussion with questions and answers, and I thank you.

@Cakers3, I am so sorry about you and your husband not being able to see your son.  That just has to be so hard.  Yes, zoom, skype, or whatever is there....but as you are acutely aware that is not the same thing.  Especially for it to be such a long period of time. 

As I stated, I don't have an opinion this time about bracelets or cards like the other countries are discussing.  Too early for me to think about it since we don't have a vaccine out there yet, or the in depth studies in regard to each type of vaccine for health care providers to review.  

As to why this virus, it probably has quite a bit to do with the transmission rate (how infectious it is), the potential impact on any country's economy, and the wide variability of clinical disease that is not predictable at this time.  It is quite sobering to think that in around 8 months 18 1/2 million cases have occurred and it started with just one person.  

It is also quite perplexing that such a wide variance of very serious clinical problems occur in patients of a wide range of age groups.  Add to that they don't totally understand why someone becomes so seriously ill and no matter what they try or throw at the virus the patient just doesn't survive, even in younger patients.  They have lost people 30-40 year old individuals with very aggressive treatment, including ECMO.  Then someone else can test positive that is asymptomatic and goes on to only  have mild symptoms.  

They are working on the idea of some of that being related to a problem in communication between the B cells and T cells of the immune system.  But fact is they just don't know.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@desertrat8 wrote:

@Pook 

I have seen discussions regarding a vaccine that could alter ones DNA.  No thank you. Talk about negative effects!

That statement is scientifically untrue.  Vaccines don't work that way. This is a myth intentionally spread by anti-vaccine activists.  Best to follow the science and keep informed and educated through reputable sources and not through social media misinformation.

Super Contributor

@Biftu

At this point, I don't trust the scientists or the 'other ' people involved.