Super Contributor

Re: The Coronavirus Is Never Going Away

@Pook 

I have seen discussions regarding a vaccine that could alter ones DNA.  No thank you. Talk about negative effects!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just how are we to know who has been vaccinated?

Are we going to be at the point where one must wear a letter or symbol on their clothing indicating they are not desirable persons in our society?  Or produce papers that indicate you have been vaccinated?  I cringe at these thoughts.

I think some are going off the rails regarding vaccines.  There are people who cannot take flu shots.   Demanding that they take a vaccine that is not yet even ready, let alone proven safe, is really jumping to conclusions.

DH and get flu shots.  We mask, we distance, we minimize going out.

But calling people hypocrites is a stretch.

Yes, some vaccinations are mandatory, required for school, etc.

However, I don't believe we are going to eradicate COVID-19 as we did with smallpox.

The issue here isn't who is getting a vaccine or not.  The issue is how will this be enforced.

And a vegan wearing a leather belt has what to do with this topic?

Apples and oranges.  Again.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

And then there are the anti-vaxxers.  Can't do anything about that.  It is their choice for whatever reason .  JMO

“Stay safe. Stay home.”

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Just how are we to know who has been vaccinated?

Are we going to be at the point where one must wear a letter or symbol on their clothing indicating they are not desirable persons in our society?  Or produce papers that indicate you have been vaccinated?  I cringe at these thoughts.

I think some are going off the rails regarding vaccines.  There are people who cannot take flu shots.   Demanding that they take a vaccine that is not yet even ready, let alone proven safe, is really jumping to conclusions.

DH and get flu shots.  We mask, we distance, we minimize going out.

But calling people hypocrites is a stretch.

Yes, some vaccinations are mandatory, required for school, etc.

However, I don't believe we are going to eradicate COVID-19 as we did with smallpox.

The issue here isn't who is getting a vaccine or not.  The issue is how will this be enforced.

And a vegan wearing a leather belt has what to do with this topic?

Apples and oranges.  Again.

@Cakers3, actually conversations about requiring a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 is beiing discussed in other countries currently.

There are some in other countries that are considering issuing a bracelet or card for those that receive the vaccine and requiring proof of immunization to travel, teach, work in the hospital,  etc.  Not saying I agree with it.  Just saying these things are already being discussed in other countries.  I believe Italy is one country that is somewhat considering something along this line.  Who knows if they will decide to do anything at all.  Or if they do decide, what that might look like.

I do know that here, one of the local infectious disease docs has started conversations with others that the first year the vaccine is out to allow voluntary immunization for hospital employees.  He is floating a proposal to wait until after the first round and if no problems occur & the public has a better acceptance of the vaccine, that hospitals then implement a requirement for vaccination in order to work at the hospital.  Similar to what they do for influenza vaccinations today.

As far as the actual vaccine, I will look at the data and the number of people in the phase 3 trial.  If  they have a robust sample for that particular vaccine and nothing stands out as worrisome, I will most probably take the vaccine when it is available to me.  But I will have to look at the number of subjects in that specific phase 3 trial and the specific data.  So I can't say I will be the first in line and I can't say that I don't intend to take it when available.  Too much up in the air at this point so I will to wait and see.  But I am not ruling it out altogether.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@desertrat8 wrote:

@Pook 

I have seen discussions regarding a vaccine that could alter ones DNA.  No thank you. Talk about negative effects!

wheres-my-tin-foil-hat.jpg

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@desertrat8 

Did you know that sunshine degrades your DNA in your skin? That's why you wear sunscreen.

But if you're thinking a vaccine could turn you into a mermaid, that's a no.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:
Porcelain wrote:

SeaMaiden  

There's another current story on the Atlantic website that is extremely sobering reading.

How the Pandemic Defeated America

A virus has brought the world’s most powerful country to its knees.

This is a just another political piece coming from the left ..The Atlantic 

Yes, I 'm sure all those deaths were all just a political statement!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

My local hospital does not require its employees to get a flu shot, or didn't as of a few years back. I know this because I was getting biweekly treatments from the wound doc there, and my favorite nurse wore a surgical mask when fall started. She told me it was because she refused to get a flu shot. Not sure whether the mask was to protect her or others, but she didn't have the shot. We patients could go maskless, shot or no shot. 

Of course, things might have changed in light of the pandemic, but with everyone in masks now, there will be no way to tell.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here's my thoughts on the whole thing.

Almost every day, there are posts loudly saying things like, "Wearing masks is mandatory! "

"They need to fine those who refuse to wear a mask!"

" Call the cops on those who refuse to wear a mask and/or socially distance! "

Yet, quite a few of the same people who demand that everyone must wear a mask, socially distance, and stay home, will refuse to get vaccinated against the virus.

"My body, my choice!"

Okay, fair enough.

But, then it is also the persons choice to wear a mask or not.

If masks and social distancing is going to be mandated, then so should getting vaccinated.

Afterall, don't we want to do everything in our power to control/defeat this virus?

If a vaccine is going to help to that end, then it only makes sense to get the vaccine.

I know that I will.

What I am trying to say is, there is going to be a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to the vaccine.

The ones demanding that everyone follow the mandate for masks and social distancing, and to hell with personal choice on that, will be dead set against mandatory vaccination, because it infringes on their personal choice.

If they really want to get this virus under control, and they are adamant about wearing masks and social distancing, then they should also be equally as adamant about people getting vaccinated against the virus.

Otherwise, they are just hypocrites.

If they don't want to get vaccinated, fine, but then just stay home and don't complain about how others are interacting.

Just my $0.02

P.S.

Yes, I DO wear a mask 100% of the time.

@Anonymous032819 

To my mind there's a big difference between requiring people to wear a mask on the outside of their body and requiring them to inject something inside their body.  Apples, oranges.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I just got my shingles vaccine last week and was chatting with the pharmacist about the COVID vaccine. I told her that I was not planning on getting it right away because I think they are cutting short the trials and research and they would have no idea of long term effects, so I will wait. She said that, using the shingles vaccine as an example, "Well, the LAST shingles vaccine was supposed to keep you immune for life. Then, the virus changed, and so now we have a new one that is supposed to last for life, so that's how it goes, and I am sure that is how it will happen as COVID virus changes."

I guess that is why there are also new flu shots every year.