Honored Contributor

The Cicadas Have Arrived

[ Edited ]

They're still in the trees but the sound of them is a delight. Cicadas taste like asparagus, so I've been told, and are pleasing to birds.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Cicadas Have Arrived

Cicadas always bring back fun childhood memories.  We would look on the bark of trees for the Cicada shells and collect them. It sounds kind of yucky now but when we were kids it was like a treasure hunt 😃. 

Esteemed Contributor

Already?   No Kidding.............NY don't get them until late summer when it's hot - Aug - Sept.  They are deafening - I'm not really a fan being 20 ft from wooded area.  You like - You enjoy!   LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cadydids as my mom and dad and grandparents called them.

This is early for them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

We won't get them where we have our summer place until May-June 2021...every 17 years.  I hate them.  They are everywhere and it's difficult to even go out without having them in your face.  

There is a tree on the property that houses large hoards of them underground. We get holes in the yard around the tree where you can see hundreds of these large insects emerge constantly.

Thankfully, we don't have them at my main home.

Trusted Contributor

I havent heard one yet this season, but expect to any day.  They do bring back memories of my childhood as well.  Every year when i hear the first ones start to sing, I just want to sit under a tree on a blanket and watch the sky and makeup animals and pictures when the clouds go by.  This makes me happy..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To mean they mean hot summer days are here.....July/August is when we see and hear them here...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

They don't bite and, unlike Locusts, they don't destroy anything. To me, they're fun; I don't mind them flying all about, just need to wear eye protection.

Honored Contributor

They come out in late summer here when it is beyond hot and dry.  They are horrible.  We sometimes call them "dry flys" and they make THE most obnoxious sound.  They are so awfully loud and it goes on and on and on.

After that there are the crickets, that are about as bad.  Woe onto any cricket that enters my house!  

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie,

Katydids are green like grasshoppers, and are most noticeable here in WV, in August.