Trusted Contributor

Re: The Cicada Saga continues

@fthunt wrote:

@songbird How large are they?  Pictures on TV in HD makes them appear HUGE...

About how long?   May I ask what state are you - believe I heard Maryland area have them.  

Anybody south of Maryland - DC sightings?    GA weather station noted today none so far.

@fthunt 

The size can vary. This one is under my carport right now. I almost stepped on it when I went out to get the paper. I'm in central Maryland.

21-05-24 cicada.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

@songbird How large are they?  Pictures on TV in HD makes them appear HUGE...

About how long?   May I ask what state are you - believe I heard Maryland area have them.  

Anybody south of Maryland - DC sightings?    GA weather station noted today none so far.

They're pretty long.  About 3/4".  Yes they are in Maryland, New York, Tennesse, Virginia, PA, DL, DC, I thnk NC is about as far south.  

I don't know why, I thought you were in CA.  Yes - the cicadas here in Maryland are out of control.  We have the police posting on NextDoor begging people to stop calling 911 over the noise (you can hear the noise very loudly while sitting inside your home with the tv on and a/c running).  Their shells cover every inch of grass in the backyard, and are clinging onto my plants.  It'll be a long month until it is over.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12  Wow...Maryland was hit hard!  I am losing my mind and they cannot leave fast enough.

My dogs are obsessed with them and are quite fond of playing with them and then eating.  I have tried keeping them in more but that is not easy with a puppy.

Thankfully, only 2 weeks!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Mj12  Wow...Maryland was hit hard!  I am losing my mind and they cannot leave fast enough.

My dogs are obsessed with them and are quite fond of playing with them and then eating.  I have tried keeping them in more but that is not easy with a puppy.

Thankfully, only 2 weeks!

@Mersha  I HATE them.  I"m here trying to love all of nature and I just can't.  My pup is obsessed with them too - she likes to jump in the air, catch and munch.  I can't!

Respected Contributor

Really, really gross....

Esteemed Contributor

Some people are eating them 🤮 .... after they come out of their shells they cook them .... they claim that they taste like shrimp 🤮

Respected Contributor

I'm not a fan of well, this kind of thing.  It SCARES me.  YES, I AM a chicken.

I remember living with my ex-in laws and one day my father-in-law came in the house with one on his shoulder.  I had no idea what was outside.  I SCREAMED and ran away.  He was like...what's wrong?  I just could not talk, just screaming.  He figured it out and said....look outside.  I did and was sick.  For weeks he had to walk me in and out of the house to protect me and one hit me on the leg, I got hysterical, he had to wham me back to sanity.  It was awful.  Then they began to die off.  What relief!

YES....I AM CHICKEN.  bak buk buk baaaak!!!

Respected Contributor

I've seen them in PERSON.  THEY ARE BIG.  NO doubt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They've started up right now.  A little LOUDER.  Just more of them.  We can't go out the back steps.  They have covered the top two steps.  They quite down somewhat yesterday.  It had rained and it was cloudy.  They really shut up just before a storm. 

They last until the middle of June.  And won't be back for another 17 years.  You normally don't see the eggs drop in to the ground. By the way, my husband was watching the Rome Open (Tennis....he's a tennis fan) and they are out in in parts of Italy.  Swarms of them, chasing the players around.  I was a child there, and I remember them coming to the Rome area.  I didn't see them.  We didn't get them in Milan.

In Australia, they get swams of frogs!  Millions of them.  Cicadas are not locust.  Locusts are grasshoppers and some places of the world get huge swarms of tem.   There are 3 species of cicadas in Brood X.  Which why are some are smaller then the others.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lived in Northern Virginia just outside of DC, and lived through two 17-year cycles of those loud, nasty, crunchy critters.

Couldn't drive down the road without them hitting the windshield.  Reports were widespread of their waste and residue ruining paint on people's cars.

Our family dog would gobble some up whenever she was let outside, and later throw up the carcasses on our rec room staircase.

Their sounds, especially at night when the world in general is quiet,  brought to mind a sound track from some sort of  science fiction movie.

Glad I moved to a part of Georgia where they are not expected this time around.  I think it's the northeastern GA counties that will experience them enough to notice.

What they can do to the bark on trees and deciduous shrubs is a sight to behold, but their chewing doesn't do any long-term damage, believe it or not.

First time I ever saw one,  I was reclining on a low chaise  under a tree, reading a book.  Heard a loud buzz, looked down at the ground and saw the ugliest insect ever, emerging from  the the soil just inches from me.

I went nuts.......jumped up screaming and ran away.  So call me a chicken........I'll own the title when it comes to bugs.