Honored Contributor

Re: The Cicada Saga continues

Oh, I hate them.  I remember when they were here 17 years ago.

We don't have them at our home, but we sure do where we keep our RV on a permanent site. They crawl out of the ground around a white birch tree.They are loud and they are dirty. There are thousands of them.

My DH is at our lake place this weekend "dealing" with them.  I stayed home to do my granddaughter's hair, nails and makeup for the prom.

They are supposed to be edible...but no thanks..way too ugly looking for me.  I'll let the fish and birds eat them.

Honored Contributor

Good time for a long vacation!

Honored Contributor

Supposedly they taste like shrimp.  I think Kelly and Ryan are going to have a chef who prepares them on the show.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m in Staten Island NY & so far I haven’t seen/heard them in my area .... I hope it stays that way 😊

Honored Contributor

@January121  Long Island might not get a huge amount of them because of overdevelopment. The various state parks & arboretums are monitoring for them. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

Me too, Staten Island,    We were last invaded in 2013.   I hope we don't see them this year.  They are beyond horrifying!  

Respected Contributor

I think they are kind of cute.  They don't bite or sting.  Just singing looking for love once every 17 yrs.  

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@songbird How large are they?  Pictures on TV in HD makes them appear HUGE...

About how long?   May I ask what state are you - believe I heard Maryland area have them.  

Anybody south of Maryland - DC sightings?    GA weather station noted today none so far.

They're pretty long.  About 3/4".  Yes they are in Maryland, New York, Tennesse, Virginia, PA, DL, DC, I thnk NC is about as far south.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I think they are kind of cute.  They don't bite or sting.  Just singing looking for love once every 17 yrs.  

They grow on you.  No they don't harm you.  The just crawl all over you. Rubbing their legs is the male mating song.  Which why they sound so weird.  

Respected Contributor

Have you heard about Cicada Chasers ! Copy and paste the bold print to read the story.

cnet.

Cicada chasers: Meet the citizen scientists mapping the bugs of Brood X

It's "never-ending amazement," one man says of his cicada adventures. "It doesn't get old."...

"They almost have a personality. Because they're a bit bigger, you can see their whole face. When they first emerge, they're very timid, so you can pick them up and interact with them." ... 

"Those who weren't alive 17 years ago or who were too young at the time and can't remember ... are in for quite an experience, says Gene Kritsky, dean of behavioral and natural sciences at Cincinnati's Mount St. Joseph University and a recognized cicada expert...