Respected Contributor

Re: The Challenges of Driving a Yellow Cab in the Age of Uber

That's what you're doing with Uber, Lyft, OR a regular cab.  There all the same.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Challenges of Driving a Yellow Cab in the Age of Uber

[ Edited ]

I live in NYC and will tell you of my experiences using both cabs and Uber. I rarely use them and prefer the subways. Before Uber,  cabs were king - I would hail a cab and if they don't feel like going to the outer borough as Brooklyn,  they just said NO and drive away. When it was deemed illegal to refuse a customer based on where they were going, they picked me up and feigned engine problems and ltold me to get out after 2 blocks. I hate cabs. They are dirty and smelly for the most part. 

As far as small fares if it wasn't an airport destination HA is what I have to say. Have you been in Manhattan traffic. It costs easily 30 dollars to go from midtown to lower manhattan unless you are speeding along at 4 in the morning.

I hvve taken Uber only a few times but each experience has been wonderful. The cars were clean and since they knew where I was going, I.wasn't kicked to the curb. Also not having to have cash on hand is super simple. Cabs only started taking credit cards in 2000 which means slowly but surely the machines were installed. You know how much cash you needed in your wallet? 

I'm not disputing that driving a cab is hard but it was also hard when they kept refusing to take me home when it was in the late evening. 

Honored Contributor

Re: 🚕 The Challenges of Driving a Yellow Cab in the Age of Uber

Male Uber drivers have treated me with far more kindness and respect than my own two brothers have. Very sad but true. Having conversations with them has forced me out of my shell. I live in a suburb and the cabs out of the nearest city are old, dirty, and expensive. I've never been in a dirty Uber car.

I had one odd experience of a 20 something guy who mistook my friendliness (and it helps to be friendly to achieve a 5 star passenger rating) and emotional state at the time for something else and hit on me. I could have reported it but I didn't. It was nothing menacing or scary or anything of that sort. He shouldn't  be doing it obviously. I just avoided him as a driver after that. 

I haven't taken an Uber in quite a while but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. It's also the only way some people have to get to medical appointments, so it's a critical lifeline in that way. My state has set requirements for it that make me more comfortable about using it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"