Honored Contributor

Re: The Caribbean Will Need Long Term Attention

I wonder how they're housing and feeding 10,000 relief and FEMA workers?  Mosquitos would be terrible if they use tents.  I wonder about malaria, West Nile, and zika.  This is a nightmare.  I think hurricane season runs to Dec. 1st.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7

I am aware people on PR are US citizens.  And, of course, they deserve as much help as those in FL and TX. 

I did not mean to suggest otherwise in my post.

Perhaps I should have worded my response to specifically say that, but I didn't think it was necessary.

I guess it was.

Respected Contributor

Actually individual Puerto Ricans do not pay personal Federal income tax.  They do pay Social Security and Medicare, and they also pay tax to their Commonwealth.

Puerto Rico was in financial crisis long before the hurricane.  When I was there a year ago, they were having demonstrations demanding that the U.S. bail them out - which I guess will have to happen now.

Honored Contributor

There are long lines of people waiting to get out ,at airport .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Noel7

I am aware people on PR are US citizens.  And, of course, they deserve as much help as those in FL and TX. 

I did not mean to suggest otherwise in my post.

Perhaps I should have worded my response to specifically say that, but I didn't think it was necessary.

I guess it was.

Sorry @Witchy Woman

It seems a lot of people don't realize they are US citizens and also pay taxes.  Saying the US is helping sounds like a good deed rather than the fact that imo PR deserves the same help as Texas and Florida.  They also pay federal taxes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Isobel Archer wrote:

Actually individual Puerto Ricans do not pay personal Federal income tax.  They do pay Social Security and Medicare, and they also pay tax to their Commonwealth.

Puerto Rico was in financial crisis long before the hurricane.  When I was there a year ago, they were having demonstrations demanding that the U.S. bail them out - which I guess will have to happen now.

@Isobel Archer

Though the Commonwealth government has its own tax laws, Puerto Ricans are ALSO required to pay most US federal taxes, with the major exception being that most residents do not have to pay the federal personal income tax. In 2009, Puerto Rico paid $3.742 billion into the US Treasury.
Valued Contributor

I have so much fondness for the Caribbean. I have been there six times, twice to Jamaica, twice to St. John, and twice to the BVI's. I was married there and have had many great times there. I am so saddened at all the loss. So many poor people just barely getting by, and now with even less. A good friend of mine and I and a couple of others want to go to Tortola to volunteer when we know things are more organized and we have a safe place to stay and someone lets us know what they need help with from us. I'm sure there is something I can do. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7

It's fine -- guess I was feeling a bit prickly this morning Cat LOL  Yes, I know many in the US do not know this.  We hear so little about them!

I'm watching the news coverage all day of the damage and desparate sitation on PR.  My heart breaks for all that have suffered so much!  Aid is coming, but if you have a baby/children and no water, no formula, no house -- it must feel like the end of the world.

I saw the congresswoman from PR asking for military help with someone to coordinate all the groups. 

I'm sure things are still terrible in TX and FL, but at least they are on the mainland.

Praying they get the help they need very soon.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Noel7

It's fine -- guess I was feeling a bit prickly this morning Cat LOL  Yes, I know many in the US do not know this.  We hear so little about them!

I'm watching the news coverage all day of the damage and desparate sitation on PR.  My heart breaks for all that have suffered so much!  Aid is coming, but if you have a baby/children and no water, no formula, no house -- it must feel like the end of the world.

I saw the congresswoman from PR asking for military help with someone to coordinate all the groups. 

I'm sure things are still terrible in TX and FL, but at least they are on the mainland.

Praying they get the help they need very soon.

@Witchy Woman

I apologize if it came across harsh or personal, it wasn't meant that way.  Thank you Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Did you mean to say theirs and our federal government bail them out instead of the US government?

They are US citizens, as we must constantly point out,  it appears.