Honored Contributor

Re: The Bullied Tennessee Boy

Definitely not defending bullies, but I think that any actual law would have to be very specific in terms of defining what constitutes bullying.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

For those interested, I can tell you what I've told parents when it comes to this:

The MOMENT your child enters the school system (yes, this includes pre-school), YOU the parent MUST educate yourself on the policies of your county regarding your school and the law of your state regarding your school because they DIFFER from state to state and often, from county to county IN said state. Trust me, they do. Find out how strong the teachers' union is; get information on past lawsuits/criminal charges that are public. Ask other parents about ANY issues they've had. You will begin to see, very quickly, a pattern as to problems are handled in your school district.  Understand that you have far more rights then the school will tell you. Understand that YOU are the ONE person your child expects and deserves to STAND UP FOR THEM against the school (or anyone) when they are harmed in ANY way. Do NOT let the school tell you "they will look into it and get back to you" as that is code for "we'll do nothing and hope the parents lose interest". Not kidding, sorry to say.

The best defense a child has is an INVOLVED PARENT. Ask questions; volunteer; go to meetings; LISTEN to your child. You are all they have when they get into trouble; don't fail them.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

Mom was interviewed (Good Morning America I believe). She said those accounts were fake, and she meant no harm regarding Confederate flags (I can't believe she doesn't know the meaning and history about them, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt). I think she should have tried to handle this privately first before pulling out a phone, filming her son, and taking it to social media. Now she and her son are getting backlash and it's really backfired for them. Instead of focusing on the bullying, people are questioning her job as a parent and wondering if the kid is really a mini racist and deserved to be bullied.

@Cumbercookie13, no one deserves to be bullied, period.  

@BornToShop  I so agree.  Bullying is wrong in any instance.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

Mom was interviewed (Good Morning America I believe). She said those accounts were fake, and she meant no harm regarding Confederate flags (I can't believe she doesn't know the meaning and history about them, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt). I think she should have tried to handle this privately first before pulling out a phone, filming her son, and taking it to social media. Now she and her son are getting backlash and it's really backfired for them. Instead of focusing on the bullying, people are questioning her job as a parent and wondering if the kid is really a mini racist and deserved to be bullied.

@Cumbercookie13, if I recall, there was at least one more action or speaking on the mother's part that indicated she had racist tendencies.

As for her saying that she meant no harm with the Confederate flag, that doesn't mean that she isn't very much aware of its connotations. It might mean that she's fine with them.

@suzyQ3 If Mom does have racist tendencies, more than likely he's taking what he sees and hears into school. It's sad and scary. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam - ITA, you must be an advocate for your child. I have a son with disabilities and believe me when I say there is much the school doesn't tell you nor do they do what they should be doing.

Only when we hired a lawyer did they snap to it! Sad, but true.

Honored Contributor

After reading @ cherrys , link  i do wonder if other kids are bulling him,about his dad also, i  just have no use for white supremacist  .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

This poor child has already suffered a world of pain, in his young life

I think the Grandfather stepped in to defend him, because people are so fed up with is mother.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5179389/Keaton-Jones-racist-father-threatened-shoot-him.html

Honored Contributor

People need to be a lot choosier as to who they breed with.....what a winner (both of them).

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

People need to be a lot choosier as to who they breed with.....what a winner (both of them).

@SahmIam, you've quite the talent for come-on expressions. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 Lol. Sometimes, you just gotta be real.