Honored Contributor

Re: The Bullied Tennessee Boy

@cherry wrote:

What is it they say about birds of a feather flocking together?  It looks like she is far more friendly with white supremacist's than she wants to admit

The lads father is one, and is due to be released from prison  in the near future

If she wasn't simpatico with that pov why did she tie up with him?

Be sure your sins will find you out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5174749/Keaton-Jones-estranged-father-white-supremacist.html

Uh-ohez. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

There was always bulling & it is not right but I think kids are being coddled amd want everything taken care of for them. It use to be you took care of it yourself. Just walk away & ignore them.

Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

There was always bulling & it is not right but I think kids are being coddled amd want everything taken care of for them. It use to be you took care of it yourself. Just walk away & ignore them.

Kids have always picked on other kids. The old-fashioned way of beating the kwap out of them can no longer fly most of the time.  Being picked on and teased, to the degree it went on when I was young, I agree that it was just something you dealt with.

But social media takes it to a whole different level nowadays. Back then it was mostly between the bully and the victim, or a few bystanders, and you could get away from it. Today, by posting online, the whole class, the whole school - or even country - will know - that’s shame and misery on a scale I don’t want to imagine.

Bullying has always been there, but social media takes it to an art form of a very ugly kind.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CLHS68 wrote:

@CLHS68, that's an assumption. Even back in the day, children were children, meaning that don't always have the attitudes and abilities that adults have (some adults, for that  matter).

Today we know much more about child development. It is not coddling or wanting everything taken care of them as it is understanding what can be the serious even devastating consequences of bullying.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

Mom was interviewed (Good Morning America I believe). She said those accounts were fake, and she meant no harm regarding Confederate flags (I can't believe she doesn't know the meaning and history about them, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt). I think she should have tried to handle this privately first before pulling out a phone, filming her son, and taking it to social media. Now she and her son are getting backlash and it's really backfired for them. Instead of focusing on the bullying, people are questioning her job as a parent and wondering if the kid is really a mini racist and deserved to be bullied.

@Cumbercookie13, no one deserves to be bullied, period.  

Honored Contributor

Was it ever determined if this happened to him more than once?

Was it a daily occurrence, or did it happen one time ,and it was addressed by the school?

I don't have any faith in the mothers ability to tell the truth.

Honored Contributor

Yikes!  This poor kid doesn't have anything good going on in his corner.  Smiley Sad   

Bad enough he's bullied, the school doesn't see fit to do anything, and now to see his parents are horrible racists to boot.     Doubtful he will come out of any of this unscathed.  I just hope he somehow finds his way to being ok.

Honored Contributor

I caught the back end of the story on CNN,   Cuomo was really spouting off about the school's lack of responsibility and I so agree.  (Then the breaking news about the terrorist attack stopped the story of the bullying.)

This kid is doomed, as far as I can see.  

I didn't watch the video his mother took of him out of respect for his privacy-- which he so deserves.

His father seems like a piece of garbage from the little I read about him. 

I don't even know what to think about the mother or what to believe.  I understand the GFM was started for the boy, by a complete stranger---out of compassion.

The mother saw this as a money grab, so I hope she doesn't get one red cent.

The boy, what he needs is more than money can buy.

A good parent, a mentor, a role model.   Someone trustworthy to seek out in school when he is being tormented.

Bullying is harassment.  

Parents are responsible for their kids behavior.  School officials are responsible for the students well being on school grounds.  (Some schools do act on bad behavior outside of school--our sons' did.)

It is possible this kid himself bullied others.  Quite possible.  And if he used the foul racist language that was alleged, that will bring swinging fists.

Where he learned to talk like that-- is up in the air.  Could be his parents, friends, movies, or lyrics.

I hope the case is really looked into by the state.  They need to set up solid guidelines to address these situations.  Every state.

Children should report it to the school, if that's where it's happening.  Parents should be brought in immediately at the onset of the bullying.  Both sets of parents.  The students involved should be interviewed, speak with councilors and it should be resolved.  If there are any further incidents there should be detentions, suspensions or the offender should be expelled.

Why?  Because bullying is harassment.  Zero tolerance.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm

"bullying is harassment."

I was surprised that bullying is not a "crime" in all states.

In N.J. it's a crime.

Therefore, if I had a child in school today who was bullied, I would first go to the school to see what was being done about it.

Secondly, I would go to the police to put the bully, parents/guardians as well as the school on notice of a pending investigation.

Thirdly, If the school and/or police was acting too slow, I would hire an attorney to sue the pants off the school & the parents/guardians of the bully.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Lucky Charm

"bullying is harassment."

I was surprised that bullying is not a "crime" in all states.

In N.J. it's a crime.

Therefore, if I had a child in school today who was bullied, I would first go to the school to see what was being done about it.

Secondly, I would go to the police to put the bully, parents/guardians as well as the school on notice of a pending investigation.

Thirdly, If the school and/or police was acting too slow, I would hire an attorney to sue the pants off the school & the parents/guardians of the bully.

Same here. Absolutely.  This should be a crime everywhere.