Honored Contributor

Re: The Bullied Tennessee Boy

[ Edited ]

Bullying isn't going to stop in these children until grown adults stop bullying.  Many of these kids bully because they learn it at home from their parents.  Social media has definitely allowed grown adults to behave in ways they wouldn't behave in public, face to face with someone. 

If they aren't learning it at home from their own parents, their parents aren't doing anything to stop the behavior.    

As far as this particular situation, something about this stunk to high heaven from the get go IMO.  And I think that video is going to prompt more bullying. 

Respected Contributor

As a retired teacher, I have to jump into this thread.  When bullying was noticed BY ME or CALLED TO MY ATTENTION by the student, parent, faculty member...WHOMEVER...I watched the perpetrator and victim like a hawk.  I stopped it immediately and then had many a conversation with the students, school counselor, parents, and administration.  I also notified all special class/recess teachers to keep their eyes out for situations where this could occur.  My school also had a Caring Kids program, which called for weekly meetings.  This program promoted caring and strategies for handling bullying or seeing bullying occur.  Maybe my small school in southwest Missouri is the exception, but most of the staff really cared and our programs worked.  I hate to see all teachers and schools brushed with the broad stroke of not caring, because at least in my school--that was not the case.

As for the cause of bullying?  Believe you me...there is not just one.  I've seen it occur in children from good homes, from parents with good child-rearing strategies, from children who attend church, and from children with poor home lives.  It is sometimes something that is just inate within the child.  It doesn't mean that the child is a sociopath.  It just means that we have to teach those children how to override their immediate feeling/reaction to someone who is different in any manner or displays behaviors that they find off-putting.  It means that we teach them that no matter what their personal feelings are toward someone, that bullying is not okay in any situation.

I have a REAL problem with the parent recording her child and then posting it on social media.  If real concern about bullying was the issue, why not just record herself discussing the situation instead of exploiting her poor child, which imo...is what she is doing.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg and @Sahmlam thank you for all you do and have done.  That was my first thought.  Where are the adults?  

Bad behavior continues because there are no consequences.  If an adult cared to walk by his lunch table or just make a point of watching the alleged bully by becoming his shadow, problem solved.  In about a day or two.  The bully will give it up.

And parents need to stop involving themselves in their kids problems and give the kids  permission to solve them like we all used to. 

Let go of the public drama and sob stories and deal with the issue head on like the parent you are supposed to be.  I swear no one knows how to actively solve their own problems anymore. Try it.  You'll be amazed how successful you can be.    

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC Inappropriate for this forum

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Bullying isn't going to stop in these children until grown adults stop bullying.  Many of these kids bully because they learn it at home from their parents.  Social media has definitely allowed grown adults to behave in ways they wouldn't behave in public, face to face with someone. 

If they aren't learning it at home from their own parents, their parents aren't doing anything to stop the behavior.    

As far as this particular situation, something about this stunk to high heaven from the get go IMO.  And I think that video is going to prompt more bullying. 

Absolutely, 100%. 

And I am tired of people always wanting free money. Everybody wants somebody else to fund their life.

I cant bring myself to read this story for some odd reason. I think it is because the bits and pieces I see about it make me smh.

Edited to say:  I so feel for that child and the life ahead.

Honored Contributor

Here's the perfect case of social media gone bad.

So glad it was not around when I was in school or when my kids were in school.

If I thought my child was being mistreated by a teacher or another student, I would be tearing the school up.    I'd be there every day if necessary.

My kids were tough, they gave as good as they got, but not all kids can stand up for themselves.    In those cases, the parents have to stand up.

Put the phone down, mom, and help your child.   And how dare she put him on the internet, at his most vulnerable situation.    I can't bear to watch the poor child, too painful to even watch.

Esteemed Contributor

It is such a shame that a parent would make a video of their child going through something like this. It also makes matters much worse if this is an accurate story.

However, when I saw the video yesterday on the news, I turned to my DH and told him there is more to this story. Behold, this morning more has come out and I would venture to say there will be more coming.

Regular Contributor

Wow.  Hey, I was bullied in school.  Maybe I should set up a GoFundMe page to pay for my therapy. Woman Indifferent

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Personally, I think the Principal needs an attitude adjustment and then get his butt fired. HE is an example of the BIGGEST problem in the school system: the school system ITSELF refusing to recognize the problem (whatever it may be) and DO something about the problem.

Do NOT get me started on this cr@p. I've dealt with it first hand; I've advocated for those who have been a victim courtesy of the Board of Education and I've fought and won each time it was necessary. Disgusting adult, this man is.

@SahmIam

In the news stories covering this, I haven't seen anything about what the school is doing about this.   They had been left out of the stories I saw.

Respected Contributor

Huh? How is this the Principal's fault? The mom is the one I'd be looking into right now, not the school.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu