Trusted Contributor

Re: The Best Way to Pick a Watermelon

@wismissMy husband saw this too and for the first time in ages we had a decent tasting watermelon although not perfect.  While it had no striations in it and was practically seedless, it felt tough and hard to get a knife through.  We're done this year but hope for the best for next.  The really bad ones we had were full of white striations and had an over abundance of white seeds though it stated it was seedless: I guess they are not considered seeds yet some had a huge amount and impossible to remove.  I don't like eating those at all.

Trusted Contributor

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

Love watermelon. Too bad the season is so short. 

My first daughter was born in October and I craved watermelon and ate a lot of it during that summer. 

@Teddie, I could have written this myself. My first daughter was born in October 1984 and I craved watermelon the entire pregnancy. She was born 3 weeks early and my mom said it was because she was hungry and wanted to come out to get something real to eat. I went home in smaller jeans than I wore before I was pregnant. Now if only that had happened the next two times.

I never could figure out how to test watermelon so I will try to keep this in mind for the future. Love it!

@Qgirl26  Oh wow, our daughters are close then. Mine was born in 1985. And funny what moms say! 

Time to get another watermelon. We cut ours up and put in large bowls so it’s ready in the fridge. 

@Teddie, I do the same. Wish I had some now. I just finished one off yesterday.

Same here, dear @Qgirl26 ! Craving some! 

Honored Contributor

@amyb@Teddie,

my daughter said all she wanted when she was pregnant with her daughter was watermelon, and she ate a lot of it!

When I was pregnant with my son, I pretty much wanted hot fudge sundaes lol!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@amyb@Teddie,

my daughter said all she wanted when she was pregnant with her daughter was watermelon, and she ate a lot of it!

When I was pregnant with my son, I pretty much wanted hot fudge sundaes lol!

@on the bay  Hot fudge sundaes—yum! Good thing I didn’t crave that or I’d have been in trouble! 

My last daughter was born in the winter and I craved lemon everything. I was ordering health food through a food co-op and I ordered lots of lemon yogurt with no added sugar. So good. Not saying there’s a connection but she loves everything lemon too. Ha!

Honored Contributor

@Teddie,You know what?

My daughter said my grandaughter does love watermelon! My son loves ice cream.

My youngest daughter ate a lot of noodles and my grandson loves them too!

I never have thought of the correlation before.

I always thought they might like the same music we listen to when pregnant but never thought about what we ate!

Pretty neat!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Wismiss, we got a good watermelon last Thursday at the Pig.  It's a nice striped one & I think they are the best.  It had yellow on the bottom and sounded hollow when I gently slapped it.  I haven't seen honey dew melons this year.  Let's just say I like all fruit.

Glenda

Frequent Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

Love watermelon. Too bad the season is so short. 

My first daughter was born in October and I craved watermelon and ate a lot of it during that summer. 

@Teddie, I could have written this myself. My first daughter was born in October 1984 and I craved watermelon the entire pregnancy. She was born 3 weeks early and my mom said it was because she was hungry and wanted to come out to get something real to eat. I went home in smaller jeans than I wore before I was pregnant. Now if only that had happened the next two times.

I never could figure out how to test watermelon so I will try to keep this in mind for the future. Love it!

@Qgirl26  Oh wow, our daughters are close then. Mine was born in 1985. And funny what moms say! 

Time to get another watermelon. We cut ours up and put in large bowls so it’s ready in the fridge. 

@Teddie, I do the same. Wish I had some now. I just finished one off yesterday.

Same here, dear @Qgirl26 ! Craving some! 

Me too! 😃

Honored Contributor

Hoping for the best!  I got another watermelon today.  As I was patting them all down, I got one that had not only the best 'hollow-ish' sound but a beautiful yellow spot!  Smiley Happy

Can't wait until I have room in the refrigerator so I can cut that bad boy open!  Smiley Very Happy  Thankfully, I have these Lock & Lock bowls, each of which is perfect for half a huge watermelon so I cut it in half and put half in each container and store in the refrigerator so they stay good for weeks.    I just cut mine up, beyond that, one slice/serving at a time.  I think that helps it stay better.

I saw mention of making something with them.  A number of years ago I found a recipe for watermelon/lime popsicles that is pretty nice.   Sadly, I don't have room in the freezer to make them and store that 6-popsicle stand thing in there.   Maybe next week.  Smiley Happy