Respected Contributor

Re: The Best Gift You Ever Got!

As a child my sister and I were evacuated out of London to the safety of the country during WWII.  We had labels on our coats, a sandwich and a 'yellow' thing - provided by the Red Cross in paper bags for our train journey.

None of us kids knew what to do with the yellow thing then a train guard took mine, peeled it, said taste that - yahoo my first banana - yum.  Never saw another one for about 4 years but I remember that one!

Valued Contributor

@dulwich, wow! That had to be beyond frightening as kids. It's incredible that you remember it as a time of having your first banana! So glad you're still with us and sharing such a wonderful memory during an extremely difficult time. Blessings. LuLu
Honored Contributor

@dulwich-

What an incredible history you have had!

Im glad you survived it all but can only glimpse at the lasting horror of the memories.

I actually remember a documentray I saw several years ago showing children being led with a label on their coats, a paper bag with a sandwich. And I may have been watching you!

And the bombing at Herrods-so heartbreaking.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay@Its Me LuLuBelle2   Being evacuated was to me a blast.  Dad away in the War,  Mum had to stay in London making bombs all the women had to do this, so I was in Wales with no real parental supervision - loved it - started my first school there  - we never saw our mum for over a year - Government rules she had to make bombs then she was hit with shrapnel during a bombing, could not work, visited us - freedom gone!  Mum back with us for 6 mos. then she had to go back.

Kids are very resilient - now as a Mother I know what she must have gone through but to us great fun!

Honored Contributor

So many of these stories are so beautiful and also unimaginably sad.

I've had so many special gifts thru the years but I'll share one of my favorite gifts to my daughter.

I found a pretty rock on the ground and since as my mother pointed out, we were below the poverty level (we actually were not aware of that!), I didn't have money to go out and buy her a present.

But I knew she would appreciate this pretty rock and sure enough, she said:"oh thanks Mom! It's beautiful!" and her sweet eyes lit up. She's still just as sweet-all my children will forever be my greatest gift, and next all my granddogs, pets and wild "pets" i've had over the years.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@dulwich-

Wow, I never would have imagined that perspective but I'm glad you remember it as a happy time!

I think you are right that most children are very resilient! More so than their parents for sure. I bet it was hard for you mother.

Valued Contributor

@dulwich, what a great attitude you have! Hats off to you for looking at it as a bit of adventure and fun. I'm so very pleased to meet you. LuLu
Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Thank you you are very kind - pleased to meet you too!

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago, my family was having a Christmas Eve celebration at my brother's house....It was a perfect setting, as it was snowing and the ground was covered in snow...a beautiful light snow....My brother lived in an adorable cottage- style home overlooking the Hudson River in my beautiful home State of New York....I moved to another State after marriage.

I have always been a lover of animals and, at that time, I had three cats, one of which was indoor only and two of which were indoor/outdoor....My husband had installed a pet door in our garage door so that they could come and go as they pleased and then they would also come into the house when we were home....I had made a couple of warm beds for them in the garage...two good sized baskets stuffed with warm fluffy blankets.

Okay, now for the finale!...lol...As my husband and I were walking towards my brother's home on this beautiful snowy Christmas Eve and, as we got closer to his front door, we saw something sitting in the snow with a big green bow on it....Once we were closer, we saw that it was an adorable tiny wood barn, painted all red, with shutters and it had a little chimney and two separate entrances in front.

Then, my brother, who had been watching for us, opened up the front door and said...."Merry Christmas J-- & M..."....I made this for your two cats, Hobo & Becky, to sleep in."

My Mom had told him about my baskets that I had for them in the garage and my brother got the idea right away to build this adorable tiny barn for them...He was very creative and loved to build things and also was a very good artist.

I was so touched by this very thoughtful gift of love that came from my brother's heart and built with such care so lovingly!...To say the least, I broke down in tears and threw my arms around him!

As I'm typing this, those touching tears have filled my eyes again, but they are happy, loving tears filled with memories of my loving brother that I was blessed with...He was 15 years older than me and passed away much too young from emphysema, as he had been a smoker since his teen years.

I still have that adorable tiny barn and will cherish it and the memories forever! Heart

Oh, by the way, my cats loved that tiny barn...I insulated it with some foam and filled it with the warm fluffy blankets and they loved snuggling up together in it...so adorable!. Cat Happy

Lovely Thread! Heart

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Mine would be "gifts", and getting my 9th chance at doing and living my life. Were it not for my many doctors/a higher power, and trying to stay as healthy and physically fit as possible, 2002 might have been THE END, along with 7 other years.

Those are my best gifts ever!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)