Honored Contributor

Re: The Best Gift You Ever Got!

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@gidgetgh, your post regarding Sears and KMart stores closing really brought back some memories for me.  I grew up really poor.  Birthday and Christmas gifts for my sibs and me usually entailed underwear, pajamas and a new blanket.  We each, at one point, would get a used bike that my father "fixed" and we were thrilled to have.  The Sears Christmas catalog was a joy to look through.  We four sibs would wear out the pages looking at all of the wonderful things we would never ask for, and certainly not get.  I must have been about 5 or 6 (almost 60 years ago) and was completely enthralled with a "costume" reminiscent of something Miss Kitty from Gunsmoke would wear.  It was a red dress with silver straps, a feather head dress and a pair of silver shoes.  It was gorgeous! If I'm not mistaken it was somewhere around $6.00.  Well needless to say, I didn't ask for it, but I must have drooled all over the page as I just thought nothing could ever be prettier. Waking up on Christmas morning and finding that beautiful outfit laying over the couch where Santa had left it made my heart stop.  I ran upstairs where my parents were still sleeping and told my mother Santa left her this fabulous outfit!  Can you even imagine my shock and delight when she told me that he had left it for me?  I still have it, carefully wrapped in tissue paper, in a box and from time to time I look at it with the same love I had for it all of those decades ago.  For me, no longer poor, many more beautiful gifts later, my Miss Kitty get-up will always be my favorite and most cherished gift.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

What a lovely story and memory!  It brought tears to my eyes.  How wonderful that you still have it.  You can't put a price on things like this.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Hands down a beloved kitten an ex boyfriend gave me one Christmas...although him and I didn’t last, this little sweet heart and I were together for 18 years, I still miss her❤️

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

My husband's "I do" on our wedding day.

Respected Contributor

Dang, this made me blubber...

Honored Contributor

My two sons,and husband but he took one back at 27,and hubby at 63.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Beautiful memories.  I enjoyed reading your well-written account.  Life is sweet, and I am glad that you still have this cherished gift.

Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest, I'm so very sorry for your losses. I can't begin to imagine the pain and heartache of losing a child. I pray you find peace of heart. LuLu
Honored Contributor

I didn't have wonderful parents who cared enough to give special gifts, but I gifted myself a loving wonderful husband and son.

Honored Contributor

Got goosebumps reading these posts. Oh, those Christmas catalogs! We got three each year (Sears, JC Penney and Montgomery Ward) and I scrutinized them all. My parents paid in cash and found enough money to get us some of the items on our wish lists for Christmas. Birthdays were a cake and just one gift. I had friends who got very little because there were more kids in their families and their moms didn't work outside the home.

Trusted Contributor

I got an extension telephone in my room when I was 15.  I cried because I was so happy.  Pretty old-fashioned when you think of phones today.