Valued Contributor

Re: The Beatles Have Landed! Feb. 7, 1964

Now I'm remembering the competition between them and The Dave Clark Five.  My aunt and uncle gave me a DC5 album for Christmas and I cried. lol  You couldn't like both.  I did go on to love Dave Clark.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh boy do I remember!  When they  were on their tour, they stopped one night on way to San Francisco at Cabana  Hotel , Palo Alto.   The Cabana was a Conrad Hilton hotel, new just opened, pretty 4 star at time.  The Beatles tour exec must have thought Palo Alto would be less conspicuous. Were they wrong.!!!!     It was a few miles from where I lived and my friends and I snuck out of the house at night, hitch hiked, thinking we would see them.  After all seeing the hotel would be seeing them.  Lol!   There were thousands of kids all the way from Los Altos to Palo Alto blocking the El CaminoReal!,when we got there. ,  i dont think police in that area had ever dealt with anything near that day.  My friends and I got as far as across the street from hotel...couldn't go any further...just packed shoulder to shoulder. And the screams!! Deafening. 

then when we went to go home we didn't know where to go, as our parents thought we were at each other's home.  My friend told her mom she decided she had homework 🤥 and then snuck me in her room.  I had to sleep in her closet.  Lol. Don't ask 

Trusted Contributor

What a fun reminder!  My sister and I were sick in bed with the mumps but we watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I remember for that Valentine's Day, my dad gave me a Beatles 45 record instead of candy and I was mad...

@shoekitty What a riot; I wish I were older at the time..

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Honored Contributor

@kutira wrote:

What a fun reminder!  My sister and I were sick in bed with the mumps but we watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I remember for that Valentine's Day, my dad gave me a Beatles 45 record instead of candy and I was mad...

@shoekitty What a riot; I wish I were older at the time..

Shoekitty said. Hi Kutira!!!!  Waving

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Oh boy do I remember!  When they  were on their tour, they stopped one night on way to San Francisco at Cabana  Hotel , Palo Alto.   The Cabana was a Conrad Hilton hotel, new just opened, pretty 4 star at time.  The Beatles tour exec must have thought Palo Alto would be less conspicuous. Were they wrong.!!!!     It was a few miles from where I lived and my friends and I snuck out of the house at night, hitch hiked, thinking we would see them.  After all seeing the hotel would be seeing them.  Lol!   There were thousands of kids all the way from Los Altos to Palo Alto blocking the El CaminoReal!,when we got there. ,  i dont think police in that area had ever dealt with anything near that day.  My friends and I got as far as across the street from hotel...couldn't go any further...just packed shoulder to shoulder. And the screams!! Deafening. 

then when we went to go home we didn't know where to go, as our parents thought we were at each other's home.  My friend told her mom she decided she had homework 🤥 and then snuck me in her room.  I had to sleep in her closet.  Lol. Don't ask 

That is hysterical and I’m sure so much fun. Wow the memories of sneaking out of the house and yes, hitch hiking. Never thought anything would happen to you (the 70s for me). One of the nights I snuck out for a party, my friend left me. She went with some guy. I had to sleep in her shed. Good thing it was summer. Yep don’t ask lol

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza I don't know the number but it was definitely a Pan Am flight. There are other photos of them getting off the plane which shows the airline name. I loved that Paul was first off the plane.❤
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tessa Mendoza 

I saw the Dave Clark Five in concert, too.  Cannot remember the year, but it seems they opened for Chuck Berry....at Kiel Auditorium.

All in white suits...so handsome.  Everyone on the floor rushed to the stage.

I have their album, "Having a Wild Weekend" I think is the name.  Lost track of them over the years, but always loved their sound.

Trusted Contributor

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!!  Don't know if it was 65 or 66 but my friends and I found out they were staying at the Astor Towers in Chicago.  Of course just about everyone in the city also knew that so that's were we hung out for the night.   When their car pulled up, I was able to see them quite clearly.  It was so fast but I saw them.  Beatles and Stones still my two favorite bands ever.

Honored Contributor

On one of the Beatles USA tours they played at a stadium in my city. I was in my early teens and my father would not let me go. 😡 My older sister is 5 1/2 years older than I am and, though she liked the Beatles, she was never a fanatic fan as I was ( and still am). It wasn't until just a few years ago, approximately 50 years after they appeared in the city where we grew up, that she told me she and her friends went to see them at the airport when they got off the plane and she did indeed see them. I don't think I'll ever forgive her for not taking me! 🤯
Contributor

Thanks to all for the stories and memories.

My husband and I are serious Beatle lovers.  We went to a Paul McCartney concert to celebrate our 30 wedding anniversary a few years ago.  He was excellent.

This is not to put anyone down, but we feel people not alive at that time, have no idea the impact the Beatles made on us as young children.  In the old days of few TV stations, these four would make the evening news.  I realize it is hard to imagine their impact and body of work, but they didn't stop producing great music for years.

We watched what they said, what they wore and listened to their politics.  They refused to play a concert venue in the south that was not integrated and stated firmly that they played "for people".