Honored Contributor

Re: The Beatles Have Landed! Feb. 7, 1964

@April-Rose. It was in Ron Howard's Beatles documentary that I learned way back in the early
1960s the Beatles had in their contracts that they wouldn't perform at segregated venues. And that it was because of this contract provision that one of the big venues in Florida (a stadium I think it was) had to desegregate for their concert or the Beatles refused to perform there.

This is told by a lovely African American woman who said the only white person she had ever seen in her small southern town was the milkman and so she went to the Florida Beatles concert very afraid. But it soon became apparent
To her that they were all just fans at the concert and that everyone was the same and she felt comfortable. That was a very interesting story in that excellent documentary.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, the documentary was Eight Days a Week, about the Beatles USA tours and Beatlemania.
Meant to write that in my post above.

Honored Contributor

And tonight is the anniversary of their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show ( today is even a Sunday also) 56 years ago. That appearance spawned yet another iconic picture of them on that very 1960s stage set.

I've seen Ringo's drum cover from that appearance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
As an aside there is wonderful song on Paul's solo album New called Early Days, a beautiful song he wrote about his early days as a Beatle.