Esteemed Contributor

I viewed 'The Bates" this morning. Another show about a large family (19 children). The two older ones are married and it's like a Duggar family with their comings and goings. I have to say I enjoy this family more than the other. Don't know why but the Bates come across as more genuine and sincere in their ways while the others............well, I am not all that convinced about the family harmony. Lovely Bates daughters and such energetic and positive children. I probably won't watch more shows and they are pretty predictable. From the Kardashians to the Bates and Duggars, the viewing audience can see the many and varied ideas of 'family'.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor
While the Duggars are responsible for introducing the Bates family to TLC viewers, I have liked Gil and Kelly Bates from the first time I saw them on the show. They seem to be very genuine and sincere people. Gil's plan for an addition to his simple country cottage escalated when Jim Bob Duggar got involved, which is how the Bates family have a much larger home than what they started out with before the remodel. Zach, Erin, and Alyssa Bates are married; Zach and his wife have a baby boy, Erin miscarried, and Alyssa is expecting. All of the pregnancies happened very soon after marriage. Their lifestyle as a large family is similar to the Duggars, but I get a much different feeling from Gil and Kelly.
Valued Contributor
I sometimes wonder if people don't like the Duggers becasue they have money,like if they were struggling poor folks ,would they be more acceptable? I am just curious , I have never disliked any of them, Bates or Duggers,...they all seem to be living according to their beliefs.
Esteemed Contributor

When is this show on and which channel???? TIA

Valued Contributor
On 1/4/2015 sophiamarie said:

I don't know, I have only seen them on the Duggers show,maybe someone will chime in, I'd like to check it out too.
Super Contributor

I agree with RedTop. The Bates are much more enjoyable to watch. I missed their new recent show...hope it wasn't just a one-time thing but a whole new weekly series. Does anyone know about TLC giving them a regular time slot so I can catch them some night?

Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2015 Jannabelle said:
On 1/4/2015 sophiamarie said:

I don't know, I have only seen them on the Duggers show,maybe someone will chime in, I'd like to check it out too.

I didn't know they had a show.

I did an internet search and found "Bringing Up Bates" on a network called "UPtv" (never heard of that network, either).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2015 Jannabelle said: I sometimes wonder if people don't like the Duggers becasue they have money,like if they were struggling poor folks ,would they be more acceptable? I am just curious , I have never disliked any of them, Bates or Duggers,...they all seem to be living according to their beliefs.

Speaking for myself and for those I know in "real life" who have opinions about that family, it has absolutely nothing to do with their current financial status. It's far more complex than that, but those of us who have tried to explain usually find it falls on deaf ears for the devoted fans. It's become an unending, repetitive cycle of threads and posts, probably a waste of time at this point.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor
On 1/4/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 1/4/2015 Jannabelle said: I sometimes wonder if people don't like the Duggers becasue they have money,like if they were struggling poor folks ,would they be more acceptable? I am just curious , I have never disliked any of them, Bates or Duggers,...they all seem to be living according to their beliefs.

Speaking for myself and for those I know in "real life" who have opinions about that family, it has absolutely nothing to do with their current financial status. It's far more complex than that, but those of us who have tried to explain usually find it falls on deaf ears for the devoted fans. It's become an unending, repetitive cycle of threads and posts, probably a waste of time at this point.Smile

Probably so...I don't hate them, i don't get having that many kids, but I repect their right to live how they want.
Honored Contributor
The first episode of Bringing Up Bates will be shown again tomorrow at 9 p.m., on the UP channel, which is 338 on my Directv programming.