Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2015 nunya said:

ya, I'd choose not to do laundry or dishes for 21 people {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I'm not sure they even own any dishes. Every time I see them they're eating off paper plates with plastic forks. Great for the environment. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Respected Contributor

Here's is my take on the Duggars. I have watched their show for years and years, and read about them online. There are many things I admire about them, but some things I do not. Here's the negative:

Mom Duggar does not raise her children, as much as the older girls do.

They provide a very poor education for all the children. (Not a slam against home schooling, just the Duggars' version of it.)

The girls are raised to be ONLY moms. That is not a slam against moms, but a statement about the girls having no choice in the matter. If you are raised this way, and have no education to speak of, you have no choice.

They a very negative on LBGT matters. Campaigning against same s&x marriage.

My opinions only, based on reading and watching.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor
On 1/5/2015 Peaches McPhee said:

Here's is my take on the Duggars. I have watched their show for years and years, and read about them online. There are many things I admire about them, but some things I do not. Here's the negative:

Mom Duggar does not raise her children, as much as the older girls do.

They provide a very poor education for all the children. (Not a slam against home schooling, just the Duggars' version of it.)

The girls are raised to be ONLY moms. That is not a slam against moms, but a statement about the girls having no choice in the matter. If you are raised this way, and have no education to speak of, you have no choice.

They a very negative on LBGT matters. Campaigning against same s&x marriage.

My opinions only, based on reading and watching.

Just to address some of the points you raise -

The older children (male and female) act as "buddies" for the younger ones. They do what most older sibs do in large families. They make sure the kids get up, get dressed and have breakfast, eat their lunch, hold their hands when they're out and about, etc.. They do not "raise" them. The parents have regular "one on one" time with their children. I know many people from much smaller families who never got that.

The education they receive is not "poor".They pass their state's mandates (as do all home-schoolers) and receive a GED.

The girls are not raised to be "only Moms" although that is a worthy vocation. They have become a state licensed midwife, a doula (birth coach) and several are volunteer EMTs with the local fire department. So their education seems quite as good as anyone else's.

As for LBGT matters, although I do not personally agree with their views on that, they are espousing their religion's take on it. They are not coming from a place of hate but from a strict interpretation of the Bible. You will find the same view held by some Roman Catholics, Orthodox Jews and many others. They say they are against the deed and not the doer.

Super Contributor

Thanks to dooBdoo and Redtop I was able to watch the Bates' new show on the Uptv channel recently. As a parent of a large family also, I appreciate and enjoy their family ties, faith, consideration, organization, self control, ambition, and ability to deal well with their everyday issues...not to mention mega parties...with dignity and kindness. I could learn much.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if they were as large a family as they are, if they didn't have 'faith', would they do just as well or better in that situation.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Imo, it's faith(trust in God) that reminds us to forgive(repeatedly) and love(regardlessly)and live purposely knowing you will be loved, helped and counseled endlessly. In any family or group, especially in a large one, those gifts are important reminders for compatibility.

Valued Contributor
On 1/5/2015 foggy! said:

Imo, it's faith(trust in God) that reminds us to forgive(repeatedly) and love(regardlessly)and live purposely knowing you will be loved, helped and counseled endlessly. In any family or group, especially in a large one, those gifts are important reminders for compatibility.

You're so right, Foggy!
Honored Contributor

When listening to Jessa speak recently I noticed that she sounds extremely uneducated. I'm not bashing home schooling either. If these kids needed further educational instruction would any help really be given? The female children's goals are primarily to get married and have children though they may claim otherwise.

Esteemed Contributor

And, in the Kardashian family, there aren't any scholars but they are very successful in their own right. No baby after baby either. Not on the public doles either. No faith is expressed either. They are a family and are close knit as well. I enjoy some of the outfits Kris wears and some that the girls even sport. I also go out to lunch and enjoy a trendy salad and some chat along with a shopping destination. They are more to my liking in the activities they are involved with but yet I am not a fan. The K-girls would never be discouraged from getting training or education if they chose to do so. They inter-act with many at their social levels. To me, that is more well rounded and healthy. To each their own.

Please don't get this convo deleted for standing up for your beliefs. It's not about that at all. The other forum has plenty of that and you are more than welcome to post there.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor
On 1/5/2015 Love Roses said:

And, in the Kardashian family, there aren't any scholars but they are very successful in their own right. No baby after baby either. Not on the public doles either. No faith is expressed either. They are a family and are close knit as well. I enjoy some of the outfits Kris wears and some that the girls even sport. I also go out to lunch and enjoy a trendy salad and some chat along with a shopping destination. They are more to my liking in the activities they are involved with but yet I am not a fan. The K-girls would never be discouraged from getting training or education if they chose to do so. They inter-act with many at their social levels. To me, that is more well rounded and healthy. To each their own.

Please don't get this convo deleted for standing up for your beliefs. It's not about that at all. The other forum has plenty of that and you are more than welcome to post there.

What other forum, love roses?