Esteemed Contributor
On 1/4/2015 Jannabelle said:
On 1/4/2015 BlueCollarBabe said:
On 1/4/2015 brii said: An older sister is in charge of a baby once Michelle weans them. It's beyond helping. Children shouldn't be in charge of raising siblings

You always spread this same story when the subject of the Duggars arises. It's not true and I think you need to recognize that fact by now. If it's something you heard then whoever told you that is mistaken or lying. You can't have got it from watching their show or you would know it's a falsehood. An older sibling (can be sister or brother) is in charge of making sure the kids get up and dressed on time, get on the bus or into the car when they're going out, and hold their hand when they're walking about somewhere. I had to do the same for my younger sibs when I was about 14 or so. It's not the same as "raising" them. It's just keeping an eye on them. Anyone with multiple siblings has done it. In the Duggar family they call it being "buddies".

I think it is a real sweet thing to have a older sibling watch out for you,...a child cannot have too much love.

Yes, what is the problem here? I always wanted an older sibling like that. I do have an older sibling, but she was nasty to me. These kids are extremely fortunate.

Respected Contributor

ya, I'd choose not to do laundry or dishes for 21 people {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor
On 1/4/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:
On 1/4/2015 Jannabelle said:
On 1/4/2015 BlueCollarBabe said:
On 1/4/2015 brii said: An older sister is in charge of a baby once Michelle weans them. It's beyond helping. Children shouldn't be in charge of raising siblings

You always spread this same story when the subject of the Duggars arises. It's not true and I think you need to recognize that fact by now. If it's something you heard then whoever told you that is mistaken or lying. You can't have got it from watching their show or you would know it's a falsehood. An older sibling (can be sister or brother) is in charge of making sure the kids get up and dressed on time, get on the bus or into the car when they're going out, and hold their hand when they're walking about somewhere. I had to do the same for my younger sibs when I was about 14 or so. It's not the same as "raising" them. It's just keeping an eye on them. Anyone with multiple siblings has done it. In the Duggar family they call it being "buddies".

I think it is a real sweet thing to have a older sibling watch out for you,...a child cannot have too much love.

Yes, what is the problem here? I always wanted an older sibling like that. I do have an older sibling, but she was nasty to me. These kids are extremely fortunate.

Exactly...It seems that way to me..

Valued Contributor
On 1/4/2015 nunya said:

ya, I'd choose not to do laundry or dishes for 21 people {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

There are so many, the work is probably spread out, and you would learn a whole lot about how to manage....I think the Granma lives with then and helps out with the laundry.

Honored Contributor
Grandma Duggar does the laundry now.
Respected Contributor
On 1/4/2015 brii said: Grandma Duggar does the laundry now.

lucky woman

she must live in the laundry room

Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2015 newziesuzie said:
<br />

Actually most of the ones I see on the thread DO watch the show. Meow yourself... I love cats!Smiley Happy

I watch so I don't know where that inaccurate statement came from, anyhow I stand by what I said earlier. The older kids, where are they going to go? Stuck in the commune is standard for them from what I can tell.

Honored Contributor
On 1/5/2015 SydneyH said:
On 1/4/2015 newziesuzie said:

Actually most of the ones I see on the thread DO watch the show. Meow yourself... I love cats!Smiley Happy

I watch so I don't know where that inaccurate statement came from, anyhow I stand by what I said earlier. The older kids, where are they going to go? Stuck in the commune is standard for them from what I can tell.

I've watched over the years, also saw the original show before it was a series (I think it's available on YouTube) and I know people who live in the vicinity of the family. My impression is that most people who comment on these threads also have seen many of the shows. I'm not sure why it's not possible to have a discussion about with a variety of opinions. We should be able to offer our observations and conclusions without expecting everyone to come around to our way of thinking. Instead, there seems to be the attitude of "change your mind, agree with me, or I'm going to insult you personally until you go away."{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I watch. I don't watch every episode, but I have seen most of them.

Honored Contributor

I've watched many of the 19 Kids And Counting shows and agree that no one is going to have the same opinion about them. There are many things about their child-rearing methods that I don't agree with, just as I have not agreed with several people I know personally and the way they have raised their children.